Sophos -- Study of Philosophy Message Board › results of poll - reading for tomorrow Sunday 26 August

results of poll - reading for tomorrow Sunday 26 August

Rabbi Mordecai F.
user 13690183
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Friends,

I have received many responses to my previous email regarding how to conduct our group.

While a small number liked the idea of breaking into groups, a large and emphatic majority did not want to, and wanted me (or whoever might be substituting for me) to facilitate.

Those who favor a single facilitator also requested that he/she play a stronger role than that which I  have been playing of late in guiding the discussion. In essence, I have been asked to come with a lesson plan and teach the text, with lots of room for discussion and insight, but moving along in teaching the text.

Several of those less knowledgeable asked that the discussants remember that for most attendees, this is first time reading this text.

I have had an enormously packed week in my day job, so I have not been able to prepare a discussion guide for tomorrow to attach here. I hope to have something basic ready for tomorrow, and for our September meeting (yes, I know it is right between Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur  . . .) have a guide sent out and a plan ready for discussion.

In light of the emails I have received, we will be adjusting our reading for tomorrow to a review of Book I of the Republic, and limit ourselves to Book II. There are some who would like catch up.

Just a heads up for a decision we will have to make soon:  There has been a request that we balance ancient philosophers with modern. This would mean that after our study of Plato, to move a modern philosopher (almost certainly Kant), and then move back to Aristotle. Please ruminate on this, and we will deliberate on it end of year.

best wishes, and see you tomorrow!

Rabbi Mordecai Finley