South Jersey JBS Freedom Campaign Meetup Message Board › Heads Roll at Guns and Ammo Magazine Over 2nd Amendment Article.

Heads Roll at Guns and Ammo Magazine Over 2nd Amendment Article. Informed Citizens DO Make a Difference!

Terry I.
user 5396049
Bellmawr, NJ
Post #: 142
I was working on my hunter friends pc. Processes were running and I had to wait. So, I picked up a copy of the December issue of Guns and Ammo magazine and started thumbing through it.

I browsed through it picking up bits and pieces here and there about well...guns and ammo of course. Until I reached the last page that is. The first thing that caught my eye about the article was the title and subtitle: Let's Talk Limits- Do Certain Regulations Really Constitute Infringment? by Dick Metcalf.

Limits I thought? In Guns and Ammo magazine? Limits? The clincher was the out take under a picture of a gun that said, "The fact is, all Constitutional rights are regulated."

Bam! You got my undivided attention on that one Dick!

Mr. Metcalf went on to write:

The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States reads, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Note carefully: Those last four words say "shall not be infringed" They do not say "shall not be regulated." "Well regulated" is, in fact, the initial criterion of the amendment itself.

I bring this up because way too many gun owners still seem to believe that any regulation of the right to keep and bear arms is an infringement. The fact is, all constitutional rights are regulated, always have been, and need to be. Freedom of speech is regulated. You cannot falsely and deliberately shout, "Fire" in a crowded theater. Freedom of religion is regulated. A church cannot practice human sacrifice. Freedom of assembly is regulated. People who don't like you can't gather an "anti-you" demonstration on your front lawn without your permission. And it is illegal for convicted felons or the clinically insane to keep and bear arms.

But many argue that any regulation at all is, by definition, an infringement. If that were true, then the authors of the Second Amendment themselves should not have specified "well regulated." The question is when does regulation become infringement?

Read a pdf of the full, single page article.

OK, by then my eyebrows were raised and I was on my way to the copier to make a copy of the page so I could post a response to this baby on my blog. You can read the response by clicking here.

Not to repeat my post which gives more details, let me say Mr. Metcalf was DEAD WRONG! I thought to myself after I read the article, "I can't believe they (the subscribers) let him get away with this."

Well, turns out they didn't!

Mr. Metcalf, a long time writer with his own gun show, was summarily fired....in the beginning of November apparently! He later claimed that he miscalculated the response.

Turns out 2 major advertisers told the magazine they were cancelling their ads forever. And a slew of subscribers cancelled their subscriptions. Some tried to defend Mr. Metcalf but as the MailOnline put it "were shouted down by several antagonistic comments." (Like that was bad or something is the tone of those words. Ah, the media. So predictable aren't they?)

The media response in general was apologetic and conciliatory towards Mr. Metcalf as one would expect from a traitorous, Corporate controlled, liberal media and, of course, critical or demeaning towards "gun advocates".

Fact is, Mr. Metcalf aimed his rounds at the wrong crowd. Subscribers to Guns and Ammo understand the intent of the clear language of the 2nd Amendment. They don't subscribe to wishy washy misinterpretations such as Metcalf was promoting. The dude was wrong and paid for it with his job- quickly too.

More Fallout

Metcalf's head was not the only one that rolled. The editor of Guns and Ammo, Jim Bequette published an apology to the readers. And then promptly resigned!

He was due to leave in January they said. He left sooner.

All of this is to me very interesting and should be to all members of the JBS. The value to us is, in my mind, not in the events and response of the readers to protecting the 2nd amendment. The true value lies in what happens when the clear freedoms that our Constitution is designed to preserve and protect are well understood.

The education of citizens about our framers original intent is critical. When citizens are informed, they cannot and will not be pushed around by poser politicians pretending to be authorities when, in fact, they are as off base as Dick Metcalf.

I applaud the readership and advertisers at Guns and Ammo. While they correctly defended the 2nd Amendment, their response was to an important but limited issue- one amendment.

Just think of all the ground JBS covers and what an informed citizenry could do to turn things around if they clearly understood the depth of the deception they are facing in, quite frankly, every aspect of their lives. Change could be as swift and decisive on an even larger level than what has just happened at Guns and Ammo.

November elections are coming up. An informed citizenry could make a lot of heads roll then as well. Every House member is up for re-election. Just a thought.

Meanwhile, keep up the good work. And please don't think it doesn't matter.

It really does! Ask Dick Metcalf.