add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Southern Arizona Preppers Message Board › CHEAP dog food

CHEAP dog food

A former member
Post #: 233
I have a labradane who could eat me out of the house if I would let him. We were feeding him some great dog food but for a 20 lb bag it was expensive. Granted it was all natural and organic. BUT, I am thinking in terms of SHTF HOW would we feed him then? I bought a bag of Ol'Roy (50lbs for 19.98 wally world) and honestly, haven't seen a change in his skin,coat, hes not itchy, his hairs not falling out, his coat is nice and shiny etc etc. I am very happy with this. My old dog food I would need to spend about about $70 to get 40lbs. With Ol'roy I can spend $60 bucks and get 150lbs. Which means I can at least get him a 6or more month supply of food without spending my entire prepping budget for 2 months. Buuuut what kind of dog food is everyone else stocking up on?
A former member
Post #: 79
I also am stocking Ol'Roy 50 pound bags I have 3 dogs and I need to stock about 400 pounds. So far I have 150 pounds stocked and they are eating with no problem at all. I look at this way we are going to have to have a change in eating habits so my animals also will have to too.
A former member
Post #: 235
that's what I am figure. I would rather him be around for SHTF for the entire time then loose him 4 months into it and let him slowly starve to death. I don't figure there will be a lot of table scraps around then to supplement feeding him either.
user 5745332
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 42
I have had large dogs for over 40 years.. German Shepards..@ 1 time I had 6.. bread them for over 10 yrs and just bought a female to start breading them again.. Ok with all that said.. I have found out working with other breeders & vets that you must check out how much you are supposed to feed them.. this is just some numbers that are close as it has been along time ago.. for a 80 lb active dogs Graytrain suggested 5-6 cups daily.. Diamond suggested 1& 3/4 -2.. my dogs did not loose weight.. my total cost of food dropped.. & I had wayyyy less dog poop to clean up.. the graytrain had a ton of cereal in it that just passed through the animal.. always check out the ingredients & volume. just my $.02
A former member
Post #: 236
we actually still feed him his high quality food the majority of the time (i admit I feed him the same amount with both feeds I don't adjust) My main concern is just getting enough on hand before shift ya know?

On a side note, do you have a recommendation for a doggie back pack? We are looking to get him one in case we need to bug out. or even if we don't bug out and just have to make some day trips that way he can carry his own gear
user 5745332
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 43
PM sent
Lewis M.
user 12510492
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 71
For long term dog food storage I keep canned pumpkin, rice, powdered eggs, and powdered milk. These things mixed together will get a dog through a rough time and store longer than ready made dog chow. For my puppies I feed the Ol' Roy High Performance mixed with rice and milk. The rice I bought on sale for .33/lb the milk @ $1.60/gal is .20/lb the high performance is $24/50lb or .48/lb the pups get all the nutrition they need from the milk and HP food but like the extra carbs from the rice. Given a choice they will pass on the plain food and eat the bowl of rice added to their milk and dog food. AZ feeds has a high performance that is good at $28/50lbs.
Luke K.
user 41485972
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 78
We have for long term, but have not tried it out on them yet., But what we have been storing up extra on Rice, Pinto beans, Corn Meal, to mix with caned 2 for a $dollar gravy train and Protein Power as needed. Luke
A former member
Post #: 40
I luv dogs. Had at least one my whole life. Have one now. Prep is fine in all we do. Remember all preps will run out except those that are renewable. If your thinking about dogs, get one that hunts. He'll/She'll be an asset to your food supply. A good hunting dog will feed itself and you too. My current dog has a good smeller but lacks hunting experience. Ya need to train the dogs to take care of themselves. I know this isn't possible in the city. A dog that can only warn of a threat is useless after your stores run out. I'm with all of you, I LUV MY DOG,but...
Please argue with me and change my mind
your friend jH...
A former member
Post #: 41
Just a note: Stay away from DC. Oblabla and Moochie might need dinner. Sorry but a little humor is good for the spirit.