addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Spanish Events in Chicago Message Board › My amazing experience in a simple evening in Pielsen

My amazing experience in a simple evening in Pielsen

Mara
user 42977462
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Last night I went with my group of people from the meetup to enjoy a free movie in Harrison Park in Pilsen right next to a school.  I always kind of afraid to go out to my comfort zone Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker park or Gold Coast,  so I though such a nice adventure for me, and the rest of my  people go to a completely different neighborhood, in the Latin Community and taking the pink line for the first time (hah I know newcomer)  . We arrived and I felt like in another country or mini Spanish town the signs of the shops said “Mueblería” (furniture store), or Liberia (book store), in the cafes the menus where in Spanish, I was so amazed, but still a little bit skeptical about the neighborhood.
We arrived to the park and we sat down in the grass with a lot of people, we were sitting on a mat like everybody. Entire families gathering at 9 pm to watch this free movie from Venezuela, dogs, friends, people talking in Spanish and in English. Mixed of white and Latin people, even European. In front of us was sitting a humble family with a very beautiful and adorable little girl and her lovely dog. She couldn’t stop smiling at us and holding the dog, and showing all her love to her parents and her dog. They were making jokes with their family in the grass and playing, watching the movie. There I didn’t feel unsafe at all; I felt that I was experiencing a real community. I was trying to buy some popcorn and someone walked me all over to the place and told me where they were selling.
I have never experienced anything similar (even in a festival in Wicker Park). I asked myself. How come these people having so little can be so happy, or have moments of such happiness, enjoying a free movie at the park, and some people having so much can feel so unhappy and lonely. Maybe they don’t appreciate as much? Maybe they do not belong to a community? Maybe they have a lot of friends but a few of real ones? Maybe they do not appreciate the essential things in life? I wondered myself this, just being 3 hours there.
One part   of the movie said: “The essential is invisible to our eyes”