The Stamford Kayaking Meetup Group Message Board The Stamford Kayaking Group Open Discussion Forum › Kayaker Missing In Long Island Sound; Search Suspended

Kayaker Missing In Long Island Sound; Search Suspended

Peter
user 3701751
Group Organizer
Stamford, CT
Post #: 605
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Kayaker Missing In Long Island Sound; Search Suspended

MILFORD - The search for a kayaker missing since early Sunday morning was suspended on Monday, officials said. Firefighters and state police had been using radar to search the area in Long Island Sound where kayaker Michael Krupa, 22, of Middletown, was last seen. Milford firefighters called the search off about 4 p.m.

Krupa's kayak capsized early Sunday morning, and police, firefighters and the U.S. Coast Guard started searching for him after another man who had been in the kayak reported him missing.

The men left Milford in a two-person kayak for Charles Island about midnight Saturday. The kayak capsized during the trip. Neither man was wearing a life vest. Both tried to swim for the island. One reached a sailboat, was pulled from the water and reported Krupa missing to the Milford Fire Department around 4:40 a.m. Sunday, officials said.

The Coast Guard, state police and fire departments from Milford, Stratford and West Haven searched for him Sunday and Monday.
Copyright © 2009, The Hartford Courant

The Coast Guard, late Monday morning, suspended the search for a missing kayaker off the coast of Milford.
Authorities say 22-year-old Michael Krupa of Middletown was one of two men who went out in a kayak late Saturday. He and a friend were dumped into the water on their way to Charles Island early sunday. The friend able to swim to a nearby sailboat.
The Coast Guard and officials from Milford, West Haven and Stratford searched all day Sunday for Krupa with boats and a helicopter.
The kayak has been found.
CBS Radio Stations Inc., All Rights Reserved

Two incidents, one weekend, pushes
safety message

Updated: Tuesday, 08 Sep 2009, 12:00 AM EDT
Published : Sunday, 06 Sep 2009, 10:46 AM EDT

Story by: Crystal Haynes

Milford (WTNH) - From air to sea, to the sandy shores of Long Island Sound, off Milford, crews have now suspended their hunt for a missing kayaker after 34-hours of rigorous searching.

Michael Krupa, 22, of Middletown remains lost in the waters after taking out a kayak, with a friend, around midnight on Sunday near Charles Island. Krupa and his friend (who is in his 20's and remains un-identified) flipped their kayak without flotation devices in tow.

The friend swam to an anchored sailboat and survived; he is now being treated for hypothermia. However, Krupa never returned.

A emergency call came into Milford dispatch around 4:30 a.m., sparking a search and rescue mission that stemmed for the next 34-hours.

"We've exhausted a lot of resources and covered a lot of miles looking for him. But unfortunately sometimes the seas just get to ya," said Officer Joshua Sheppard of the U.S. Coast Guard.

Computer models had predicted a 17-28 hour window of survivability in the 70-degree waters.

"It doesn't matter how good of a swimmer you are; it doesn't matter if you were on the swim team in high school or anything like that," said Captain Chris Zak of the Milford Fire Department. "You need to have a personal flotation device because when accidents occur, you could be injured and not be able to swim at your capacity that you could before."

Charles Island is a place where beachgoers can walk out on low-tide, enjoying the waters and the scenic views. However, boaters and kayakers, who may not know the area, can tend to have a problem there if they're not careful.

"At night these individuals will call on their cell phones and we'll have to go out and rescue them from the island," said Captain Zak. "Also, it's an area where kayakers and windsurfers like to go. It's protected from the wind conditions inside here but once you get to the South side, the chop picks up, the wind picks up [and] you're not protected by the shoreline anymore."

Just like Krupa and his friend, a miscalculation in the waters off Charles Island ended in the drowning death of 57- year-old Raymond Callan of Fairfield just two months ago. And, the four friends, in Guilford, who crashed their boat into a seawall, on the Sound Friday, were also not wearing life vests.

John Cook, 24, of Guilford was killed while boatmates, Arthur Hall and Elizabeth Protzman, suffered serious injuries and 21-year-old Devon Hardy remains at Yale New Haven Hospital in serious condition.

"You need to pay attention to what you are doing; make sure you have a float plan and make sure someone knows where you're going and what you're doing," said Officer Sheppard.

Although summer is near a close, authorities urge beach-goers and boaters, alike, to exercise safety precautions.
LIN Television Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Search continues off Milford shore for missing kayaker
Vessel capsized Sunday; 2nd man safely ashore

By Linda Conner Lambeck
STAFF WRITER
Updated: 09/07/2009 12:17:36 AM EDT

MILFORD -- A kayak capsized early Sunday tossing two men into the waters of Long Island Sound.

While one of the men, a Milford resident, was able to swim to get help for himself, his friend, Michael Krupa, 22, of Middletown, remains missing, despite an extensive search of the waters off the Milford shore by the U.S. Coast Guard, Milford police and a number of other agencies.

The incident happened sometime around 2 a.m. Sunday, according to Milford Fire Capt. Christopher Zak.

He said after they were tossed into the water, the two men began to swim toward anchored boats.

The Milford man, also in his 20s, was not identified. He was able to make it to an anchored sailboat in the area of Charles Island and woke the people who were on board. A 911 call was placed at 4:42 a.m.

The Milford Fire Department's Marine 1 fire boat transported that person to the Milford Yacht Club where he was taken by paramedics to Milford Hospital. He was being treated for hypothermia because of his prolonged time in the water.

A search, with the assist of a Coast Guard helicopter, continued throughout the day Sunday for Krupa. A second helicopter sweep took place late Sunday afternoon.

Among those participating in the search were State Police, Milford fire and police, Stratford fire rescue and West Haven police, who put a boat in the water near Charles Island. State police were using a sonar device that sweeps the ocean floor.

"But we're still actively searching for a swimmer. We're not assuming the worst yet," said Petty Officer 1st Class Anthony Kozak, a Coast Guard spokesman, of the underwater search.

"We are currently searching an area five miles long by five miles wide," said Mark Averill, Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound's watchstander. That search was taking place between Silver Sands State Park and Walnut Beach.

"Our Station New Haven crews managed to find the kayak (Sunday) morning, so we have saturated the area with assets in an effort to find the missing kayaker," he added.

Coast Guard officials said the Tiger Shark, an 87-foot patrol boat from Providence, R.I., was going to take over the search for Krupa Sunday night to give those involved in the initial search a rest until the early light on Monday.

There were 15-mile-per-hour winds, two-foot seas and a water temperature of 72 degrees at the time of the incident.
ConnecticutPost.com
Peter
user 3701751
Group Organizer
Stamford, CT
Post #: 606
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
I am saddened by the news that we lost a fellow kayaker this past weekend. Even though Michael Krupa was not part of SKG I feel he is still part of our community. He is from Middletown, CT and he paddled in Milford, CT which are in our general area. From what I have read on the Internet, he is already missed by his family and friends. I send my condoles to his family. Rest in Peace Michael.

Long Island sound (and particularly the Charles Island area in Milford) is a safe place to kayak, but we all need to recognize that things can happen. There is an inherent danger associated with kayaking (as well as most other water activities). I encourage us to discuss and learn from this incidence. I have started a separate thread for that discussion. (go to http://www.meetup.com...­)
A former member
Post #: 62
Besides the obvious how do we prevent this sort of thing? So far I have only done rivers and large lakes. Never the sound. So I want to be prepared for the day when I do.

Laurie
Andy
user 2482499
Springfield, MA
Post #: 2
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Besides the obvious how do we prevent this sort of thing? So far I have only done rivers and large lakes. Never the sound. So I want to be prepared for the day when I do.

Laurie

Unfortunately in this particular case, common sense would have probably been enough to prevent the death.
Rough seas, open boat, no craft flotation, no personal flotation, and alone.... at midnight?!?

This tragedy was 100% avoidable, with a minimal expense and effort.
My heart goes to friends and family.