Steampunk Explorers League Meetup Group -- Northwest Chicago Message Board › Thank you!

Thank you! and what might pass as minutes or a short (or not so short) reconstruction of the evenings events and some of the ideas that arose.

Hilary J.
user 72562722
Group Organizer
Palatine, IL
Dear All --

To those who were able to come to Peggy Kinnane's last night -- it was wonderful to meet you and have time to relax and talk!  What a wonderful group!  It seems as though we have a great blend of folks both new and "old" to the Steampunk scene.  It was great to be playful!  It's refreshing to find people with whom to be imaginative and creative -- and each in different ways.  We introduced ourselves, told a bit about ourselves and generally chatted until about 11pm.  Each one of you has your own style and fascinating backstory -- in fact, backstories of all kinds. It looks like there is a real interest in a regular meeting.  The issue of location is more of a challenge than I might have hoped.  The tearoom in Elmhurst is only open until 5.  The room last night will be possible for us to use -- and affordable if we meet earlier and order more food, otherwise they like to charge for it.  The down side is that there is alcohol.  For some, of course, that's an up side.  I am keenly aware that there may be people in recovery in any group as well as people under 21.  I really liked the idea of being sure to meet places where those under 21 can join us.  That is possible at Peggy Kinnane's.  Perhaps we can rearrange the furniture to be more face to face as long as we return it to the way it was earlier.

February 4th would be the next sensible time to meet -- Monday evenings seem to be possible for many folks and essential for me.  It seemed that a lot of us liked the idea of a monthly salon or perhaps bimonthly.  When I have a chance to check out a couple of other possibilities I will post a meeting time and a theme for the next meetup so that we can prepare something to share.  I would suggest that we have a check in time toward the beginning of meeting where we go around and introduce ourselves for any new members/attendees, then have a balance between sharing the theme of the meeting -- and then socializing. Ideas that were brought up were a fundraiser for some worthy cause/s, Steampunk swap, sharing books and movies, I would like to hear about the internal stories we have about the people we are in Steampunk and the various degrees that it is lived in by each person.  I would love to hear about the blend of influences that brought each person to Steampunk.  I also like the idea of talking, sometime, about the serious as well as the playful side -- what is the dream of steam -- the alternate present we would live -- what would it mean geo-politically if the first and second world wars had never happened or at least if the first had been the war to end all wars; we could bring philosophical ideas of the 19th century that attracted; or each bring a writing from a Steampunk perspective written by ourselves or others and read aloud some portion. I love poetry -- and wonder if we might have an evening of both light and serious verse both Victorian and Steampunk, written by ourselves and others.    Other ideas were field trips: movie outings, high tea in Geneva at the tea room there, a visit to the Aviary downtown, picnics -- the area around the Field Museum was home to Columbian Exposition -- the very height of the Steam Era  -- Renee had the idea of a White City (as the Exposition Grounds were called) themed picnic near there and a jaunt through the Museum (as a great fan of the Columbian Exposition I love this idea) ...  I think that Pam is bringing hats to our next meet up.

Anyway -- thank you all for a lovely evening and for helping to create an active Steampunk community in the Northwest Suburbs and beyond!

Fond regards,

Hilary