Steampunk Explorers League Meetup Group -- Northwest Chicago Message Board › Steampunk books you'd recommend, and other stuff...

Steampunk books you'd recommend, and other stuff...

A former member
Post #: 239
Ok, I know I'm starting threads willy nilly but I have hard time keeping certain things to myself when I find something cool that I think others might enjoy or should check out. I thought I kind of knew what steampunk was. This book was loaned to me by a member of this group. After reading it a bit, I realized I am woefully uneducated about the true origins of steampunk and all the subgenres related to it.

This is a great book I read last year, and it's a bit dark, but I read it long before this group was created. I just happened to find his book at the library last year (remember those?) I'm one of those old school folks that still likes to hold an actual book as a I read it (I know, I know, the Nook and Kindle are supposed to be awesome, but I'm always worried about dropping something like that...books can take some abuse, electronics...not so much).

Speaking of steampunk in the African American community, I thought some might find this interesting. The term "steamfunk" has been coined...

user 75110642
Bloomingdale, IL
Post #: 13
While there are schools of thought some people might adhere to, there really aren't any rules. SP is what you make of it. Some come at it from a fashion angle, some literature, others the gadgets & the freedom with creativity. You can read about it sure, but when you apply it, and this is the fantastic thing about SP, it's all about you & how you want to put your own stamp on it. The clothes make us stand out, the sense of community, belonging & acceptance make us exceptional.
A former member
Post #: 240
I think personally, I'm more interested in the science (and science fiction) behind it, then the "look". (That part is cool too though) I find the "scientific" illustrations by Wells and Verne intriguing since Verne actually wanted possible inventions related to his stories that could exist and function. I also find it interesting that steampunk tends to be looked at in a "romantic" way when the actual Victorian period was not great for certain classes of people at the time, in many areas of the world. I realize that's been changed somewhat in the alternate reality view of it in certain novels, etc, etc. I just find different points of view about steampunk within different cultures, interesting to read.

This may give some of you a giggle...­
user 75110642
Bloomingdale, IL
Post #: 14
That's why I've heard SP referred to as Neo-Victorian. The Victorian era wasn't great for a lot of people for a lot of reasons but you can say the same thing about now.
A former member
Post #: 242
*Runs to Wiki to look up their fancy Neo-Victorian definition*... smile