Steel City Ukuleles Message Board SCU Events › SCU News and Information

SCU News and Information

Jack
user 3735594
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello Fellow Ukulele Players:
Here is some Important news and information about Steel City Ukuleles.
1. Blake Mohler is starting another Ukulele Beginners Class at WSCC. It starts on Thursday evening, September 26th and goes for 7 weeks. The cost for 7 lessons is ONLY $70. This is how I started playing ukulele and I strongly recommend that every beginner take advantage of this opportunity. More information can be found at http://www.meetup.com/Steel-City-Ukuleles/messages/boards/thread/37194782­
2. We are considering the move back to WSCC for our 1st & 3rd Wednesday Meet-ups soon. Watch the announcements and messages for updates. We might move back as early as September 4th, but are still considering the options. Although the weather was great last night, it is getting dark by 8 PM.
3. We are going to try a "Beginners" Meetup once each month, starting Wednesday, September 25th. This is not a replacement for lessons, but an opportunity to play easy chords and songs with players of similar skill. Basic questions about ukulele will be addressed. We will even have ukuleles available for people who are just interested in finding out if they might like to play.  Tell your friends! If you are interested, please RSVP for this opportunity - Why? - If we don't get adequate RSVPs, we will not be able to offer this Meetup. See more information on the Meetup Site.
4. SCU has scheduled a workshop and concert by Cool Hand Uke (Dan Scanlan). The workshop is titled "Pick, Pluck, Muffle and Strum." This will be held on Saturday, October 12, at WSCC. The workshop starts at 1 pm; the concert is at 7 pm. Cost for the workshop is currently set at $20; and the concert $10. We are working on a package deal. Although you can't RSVP for this Meetup YET (I will announce it when you can), there IS a scheduled Meetup and other information on the Meetup Site. Mark your calendars NOW.
5. North Hills Ukulele Meetups (1st & 3rd Mondays) are now included on the SCU Meetup Site, as are NWPA Meetups (Next is Wed., Sept 11). Check them out and join them if you can.  Note that the next North Hills meetup will be on Tuesday, Sept. 3 because the first Monday is a holiday.
6. Sunny announced at last nights Meetup that SCU will perform at WSCC Eco-Fest on October 5th. SCU welcomes everybody who wants to perform, however, you must attend pre-concert practice sessions (to be announced). Contact Sunny via the Meetup site if you plan to play.
7. Be sure to peruse and use the SCU Meetup Site. We are quite proud of the "alphabetical" list of music, and there are excellent resources for you on the "Links" page. The "Discussions" page is a convenient way to discuss your interests, needs, questions, etc., and even a place to buy and sell your ukulele-related stuff. And there are lots of photos. Please be sure to comment on each Meetup that you attend - Giving SCU 5 Stars is a good thing.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact me via the Meetup Site.
Sincerely,
Jack
Leah W.
leahwilde
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 1
Is there a place to RSVP for the monthly beginners Meetup? Can't seem to locate.
Jack
user 3735594
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 26
Hi Leah: Several people have expressed a problem in finding the "Beginners" meetup announcement. I will provide some guidance here, but if anybody still has trouble, send me a note and I can sign you up.

1. From Meetup Site Home Page
2. Scroll down the page through all of the upcoming meetups
3. Just before you get to "Recent Meetups" there is a place to click for "More Meetups"
4. After clicking, scroll down to the Beginners Meetup and RSVP.
NOTE Again - if all else fails, contact me and I can do it for you.
Jack
user 3735594
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 27
And here is another way to quickly navigate to a specific meetup. I will use the Beginner's Meetup as an example:

1. From SCU Meetup Home Page
2. Click on "Calendar" (red font in a sub menu, just above the first meetup announcement that is shown
3. A calendar will come up (for now it is "August")
4. Click blue arrow on upper right side of the calendar to move to another month (arrow pointing right will go to September.
5. Scroll down September calendar until the 25th
6. Click on the Beginners Meetup and you will go directly there.