addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Suncoast iOS Message Board › Bizarro world proposal

Bizarro world proposal

Closed to new replies

Barry E.
user 3402321
Saint Petersburg, FL
Post #: 20
Microsoft has requested to sponsor our group for three months to promote Windows Phone 7. All that would be required of us is to display the Windows Phone 7 logo on our Meetup page and say "Thanks" during each Meetup for those three months (they didn't stipulate how many times - I'll assume once). We'll also get branded name tags. In return, we'll get $75 for each of the three Meetups to spend however we want.

Jason and I discussed it and we're in favor of it. It's essentially free money for the group and I personally wouldn't rule out writing for Windows Phone some day. Plus building bridges, etc...

What's the consensus on this?
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm not arguing against free money, but it feels like a slippery slope and I fear the group could lose our focus of iOS development topics.

I have zero interest in M$ programming. If our topics started covering Windows Phone 7, I'd leave the group. (I'm usually traveling during our meeting time but hope to be able to attend again soon) Same goes for Android, WebOS, etc. If I wanted to learn about that kind of material, I'd go look for a Meetup specific to that knowledge area.

Just my two cents...

-- Scott

Ellen T.
asmallteapot
Burlingame, CA
I'm in favour as well. They're nice enough folks, and WP7 actually looks like not crap. Plus, hey, free money. Panera and book raffles at every meetup for three months? :)
Partha P.
user 12613838
Riverview, FL
Is there a plan to rename the group to "Suncoast SmartPhone App Developers"? Not that there is anything wrong with it since I did not find an android meetup in our area.
Free money sounds good only as long as MS will not try to take advantage of iPhone group with MS branding in their Ads somewhere.
I say...lets go with free sponsorship :)
Harry B.
user 11026584
Tampa, FL
I am against it. Once you post something on the internet it lives FOREVER!!!!
There is a lot of potential for them to use websites like these to tell everyone that iPhone developers are converting to Windows Phone 7. Nothing is FREE. There is always a COST.
Victor
candidlyvic
Tampa, FL
Post #: 3
I'm not opposed to it. It's not a bad platform. Even as an asp.net developer (trying to transition away from this) I have chosen to develop only for iOS because I enjoy it and it's what I use on a daily basis. I haven't ruled out developing for WP7 forever, just not right now. I wouldn't be in favor of using one the of the regular monthly meetups to discuss WP7, because that's not what this group is for, but if separate meetups were to take place within the group for WP7 I have no problem with it. $225 buys quite a few books (especially pre-owned ones from Amazon), tshirts, sandwiches, or whatever. Apple isn't paying us to be brand loyal, we're paying them to develop on their platform. I don't have a problem with this. No one is forcing us to trade in our Macbooks for Dells. At that point I would have a problem.
Barry E.
user 3402321
Saint Petersburg, FL
Post #: 22
At this point the discussion is moot because the enrollment time has elapsed. In the end, I agree that although many of us aren't anti-MS, we shouldn't be used as pawns in their P.R. game.