addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Super Fabulicious Hiking and Outdoor Adventure Group Message Board › Hiking Half Dome soon? You should read this!!

Hiking Half Dome soon? You should read this!!

Chris J.
Group Organizer
Walnut Creek, CA
Hi All

Sorry, but I could not help it, I had to send out this e-mail to all the members of this group.

Many of you might have heard about the hiker from San Ramon who fell to his death at Half Dome on Saturday afternoon.
My heart goes out to his family, it is a tragedy.

Just the Saturday before on June 6 my hiking group witnessed (from mirror lake) the helicopter going up to Half Dome in the evening, we later found out a young woman slipped and fell on the cables, she got lucky she got snagged by a crevice and could be rescued, she was unconcious for a while and taken down by the helicopter, I don't know all the details, but I know it had been raining for a few hrs already at that time.

If you think about hiking Half Dome this year, do not go up the cables when there is a chance of rain/snow/hail etc., even fog would be bad.

The granite gets extremly slippery when wet!! I watched some hikers slip on their way down not long ago, they were ok since the managed to hold onto the cables, doing so was was quite the workout I have been told!!
I have never been up the cables I always stopped right there, some hikers have told me the granite is pretty "polished" between the cables, even on a dry day shoes with a good grip are a must.

Some ppl recommend to get/make a simple climbers harness to "clip in" at the cables, you have to un-clip and clip back in after every post.

UPDATE Jan 2010 PERMIT NEEDED for hikes to Half Dome Friday, Saturday and Sunday, when the cables are up, check the link below­

Be careful and stay safe out on the trails.

Chris J.
user 3124540
Miami, FL
Post #: 1
Thanks for the info. This is very useful. I will be going up next Friday.
BTW, the person from San Ramon was a neighbor of my co-worker.
The house was foreclosed as a result of his death. Very tragic. Kerstin