Surrey and Greater London Herbivores Message Board › Member Location List, How to Update Your Location and Ideas on Increasing At

Member Location List, How to Update Your Location and Ideas on Increasing Attendance

This message board is read-only.

Lesley D.
Lesleyvegandove
Hampton, GB
Post #: 109
We are in Hampton, and when we organise the monthly pub meets in the nice pub in Ham, we often still don't get many ppl. I would like to ask is it the location that is the problem for most members?

Is there anyone on the group we don't yet know who is Kingston/Richmond/Twickenham area, or even anywhere at all close to us, who would like to meet more veggies and vegans locally?

I am happy to travel a bit out the other way occasionally to help welcome ppl into our group, although not able to get to all areas of Surrey as I rely on public transport. Is almost everyone here in the Guildford or Woking area?

I hope we could get more ppl next month for the pub, although it was nice to meet a new person, I always feel so bad when new ppl come and if it's only me and my husband there (and sometimes the kids), and new ppl might expect to meet more ppl and be disappointed in us!

What do I need to do to get a bit better attendance? We had occasional times when we've had a dozen or so ppl which is nice, but quite rare, maybe once a year or so and we can't usually predict how many will turn up (but we don't tend to cancel).

Please could ppl let me know where they are based, if you are in North Surrey, especially, and SW London. Anyone in Sunbury, Shepperton, Molesey, Feltham, etc?

I'm just feeling a little down that after several years of running a group to cover as much as possible of the TW/KT area, we still feel a bit fragmented, not as cohesive as some groups and a lot of ppl on my contacts list who never meet up.

What more can I do as I already do two regular meet up dates a month which is more than a lot of groups do??

I'd also like to hear from anyone in easy reach of my area who is interested in getting more active for animal rights, even more keen to develop this than the social side of the group.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 325
Hi Lesley, as we've discussed this at length on the 'phone I'll not be adding much, other than to say that I've compiled a list of member locations, complete with profile links.

I'd intended to put it on here, but as Meetup restricts the number of characters, and there weren't anywhere near enough, I've put it on Volentia's Surrey Group instead.

I hope this helps everyone to 'meet up', but bear in mind it's down to you all to be as accurate with your location as you can (i.e. saying you're in Hampton and not just 'London', hint, hint!).
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 326
If you want to update your location, use this link­ and tweak the postcode to get a more accurate result (I'm looking at how Meetup work this out, as they're usually way off the mark... sadly, they're too American centric).

I suggest using the Royal Mail's Postcode Finder to use a property near the centre of 'town', or you could try the postcode for your local station­.

Here are the Wiki entries for the GU­, KT­ and TW­ postcodes, which are also helpful.

P.S. If that shortcut 'link' at the start didn't work, click on 'Account' at top right, then 'General', then 'edit' your 'Location:'.
Lesley D.
Lesleyvegandove
Hampton, GB
Post #: 110
I'd not realised it wasn't totally clear on mine that I was in Hampton ( everyone knows anyway!). I corrected it now, thanks. Yes this is a helpful listing if ppl can be accurate, so we can organise things more locally as Surrey is terrible to get around on public transport. It would be helpful if ppl could let us know who can offer lifts to meet ups.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 327
Come on Lesley, not everyone knows, and you've got to set a good example as an 'Organizer' tongue

I wish we had a decent veg place in Dorking (there was one, but I found out after it had shut), as it's a lovely market town and you can get their using Oyster on the 465 bus (from Kingston), or take the train to one of its 3(!) stations (about 1 hour 20 mins by train from Hampton).

Of course Guildford (about 1 hour 30 mins) has The Beano, and Woking (1 hour 10) has Karahi Spices.

Leatherhead (1 hour 5, also on the 465 bus route) is another town that could do with a dedicated veg place (there are quite a few omni restaurants), as would be appropriate for the former home of the Vegan Society (if you read that link, do read more about Kathleen Jannaway here).
Lesley D.
Lesleyvegandove
Hampton, GB
Post #: 111
.. OK if we are talking veg history then Ham is good! http://en.wikipedia.o...­
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 329
Yes, I'd read about Allcot House before... it is fascinating that we had The Vegetarian Society connected with Ham (meaty name), The Vegan Society at Leatherhead (leather tanning), and Croydon has the oldest ever Veg Soc... all in Surrey (prior to expansion of Greater London in 1965).
Lesley D.
Lesleyvegandove
Hampton, GB
Post #: 114
Hayley Mills who is veggie used to live in Hampton but she moved away before I moved here, so never got to meet her, and also Brian May was brought up in Hampton and went to the Hampton Boys school next door to the school where my kids went. Hampton would be a bit more interesting and vegetarianism would have a higher profile here if they were still around I reckon, although I've had my differences with Brian May over him not so long ago supporting a vivisection charity.