Sustainable Living Network - Madison Area Message Board › Greener Faster Challenge
Hello SLN Members,
I want to pass along information on a program a lot of you may be interested in. Enact is a free sustainable living program for Dane county Residents and they are looking for eco-heroes to participate in a year-long challenge to reduce your ecological footprint by 41%. See the announcement below and sign up at the email address given. They will have meetings throughout the year for participants to discuss tips on living more sustainably and help leverage all of the sustainable resources in our community so it would be great to have some people participate and talk about the experience with the SLN membership in the next few months.
From Enact (or see attached flyer):
Greener, Faster Challenge: Eco-Heroes Wanted!
EnAct is a free sustainable living program for Dane County residents. We are looking for eco-heroes for a yearlong challenge to reduce your ecological footprint by 41%.
Last year, 6 Dane County families took on a yearlong commitment to reduce their eco-footprint by 40%. These families have completed the challenge, greatly changing their impact on the environment and creating an example for their communities. The search is on to find5-10 individuals or families to take on the ultimate eco-test this coming year.
· How much energy can you save?—the average WI household consumes 10,000 kWh/yr
· How much less can you drive?—the average WI car owner drives 13,000 miles/yr
· How much local and organic food can you eat?— food typically travels 1,500 miles
· How much waste can you recycle?—the average person throws away 1,600 lbs of garbage/yr
· How much water can you conserve?—the average WI household consumes 67,806 gallons/yr
· How much money can you save?—the answer is up to you! (The average EnAct participant saves $400/yr)
The goal is a 41% reduction (compared to the WI averages above) to celebrate the 41st anniversary of Earth Day. The challenge will start in summer 2011 and end in summer 2012.
What We Need from You
· A commitment to make significant changes, and to keep up the effort for a full year
· Permission to share your story and picture online and with the media
· Permission to periodically review your utility bills, odometer readings, and food bills
· Willingness to blog or be interviewed for blogs or media stories
What We'll Provide You
· One-on-one consultations to help you make changes and save money
· Free resources and more than 1,000 tips to reduce your ecological footprint
· Recognition for your hard work
· GREAT PRIZES for all participants! Last year's prizes included a free bike from Dream Bikes, a year's worth of Organic Valley milk, a free home energy audit from MG&E, a Water Sense low flow toilet, and more. This adds up to more than $1,500 in rewards! Look forward to similar great prizes for next year.
To Nominate Yourself
Email a 250-word essay explaining why you should be a Greener, Faster Challenge participant. Include your name, address, phone and email address, and the number of people in your household. Tell us about your current lifestyle, and why you are ready to make big changes. Participants will be selected from all nominations received.
Deadline for nominations is Tuesday November 30th. Visit www.enactwi.org or call (608) 204-2888[/url] for more details. Send your nomination to: email@example.com. Entries will be reviewed by Madison Environmental Group, Inc. and EnAct sponsors.