**NOTE DIFFERENT LOCATION! - 22 4th at Market **
6:00 pm: Gather
6:15 pm: 30-min Talk: Building Realtime iOS Applications with Firebase & Swift
6:45-8:45 pm: Make Swift apps together
Firebase allows you to write a realtime Swift app without having to write or manage any server code.Firebase is a powerful API that stores and syncs data in realtime.
This talk will cover the fundamentals of how to use Firebase in your Swift apps. We'll cover how to write data toFirebase and stream those updates in realtime. We'll also use Firebase's flexible security rules to lock down and secure our data. At the end we'll do some live coding where we'll build a realtime app on stage.
Speakers: Katherine Fang - Core DeveloperKatherine graduated from MIT with a bachelor's and master's degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Outside of Firebase, she enjoys dancing, robots, skating, and adventures.
David East - Developer AdvocateDavid is a Developer Advocate at Firebase. He is passionate about creating content to help educate developers. Follow him on twitter (@eastdotnet) if you're interested in reading about realtime applications, or what it's like to have a two year-old.
MAKE SWIFT APPS TOGETHER:
Intermediate/advanced learners can build Swift apps based on the various resources that we shared (see below). BEGINNERS can continue with the intro chapters (http://bit.ly/SwiftSF0001)
INTERMEDIATE: These are apps that people have liked in the past and we can work on them during the meetup:
1. Twitter API: A regular group has been working on building basic Swift apps that use the Twitter API.
2. Weight Logging App: This is a potential new one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAQtOsfkD5A&list=UU8N6g9OQKSIOXcgfj9L9s-Q
3. A favorite of the group: tip calculator app part 1, part 2, and now part 3
4. Another group favorite: Create the Game of Life using Swift and SpriteKit
5. Another from Ray Wenderlich that looks promising: Game Like Candy Crush with Swift: Part 1,Part 2
6. This also looks promising: Swiftris - Tetris with Swift
Please see resources that we have posted: http://www.meetup.com/Swift-SF/messages/boards/
A note on etiquette: This is a study group where we meet and loosely gather in groups of different levels to help each other out. Beginners can ask more advanced people for help and no question is a dumb question. We support and learn from each other, including learning through teaching.