addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Twin Cities Disc Golf Meetup Message Board New Members › Recommendations for beginner

Recommendations for beginner

Aaron F.
user 11541439
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
Hey everyone. I'm new to the group and would like to get out some before winter. I don't have any gear and was wondering the best place to get some. I saw this in another thread:
http://gottagogottath...­
But I've also heard that Air Traffic Control in Southdale might be a good bet or possibly Mall of America? And recommendations on where to shop and what to get?

Thanks,
-Aaron
Maximillian A.
user 9285078
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 62
I would recommend either Gotta Go Gotta Throw or Fairway Flyerz in St. Paul. The reason I think those stores are better for a newer player is that the staff in both stores are very knowledgeable and helpful in picking out discs for new players, where as Air Traffic Control's folks aren't as experienced. Hope that helps!
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 115
Yep, both those stores can help you out.

The Air Traffic at Rosedale mall has a great selection as well, and the prices are better than I've seen anywhere other than an actual disc golf shop. So, it's a reasonable choice if you're just purchasing. If you want info, one of the mentioned stores is your best bet. Gotta Go is a little more likely to save you a couple bucks on a "set" of discs, but not enough to offset driving there if Fairway Flyerz is closer.

As for recommendations, the set you linked to is a fine setup to begin with, and the price is pretty good. If you want some more options, you're likely to get as many opinions as we have disc golfers. That said, here are some pretty tried-and-true thoughts.

1) Buy a putter, and don't be afraid to throw it off the tee.

If you're brand new to disc golf, throwing a putter will come a lot more naturally than jumping right into other discs. Learning to throw your putter well also gives you a jump on technique that many people fail to incorporate when they start throwing drivers right away. Also, your putter will likely go straighter and just as far as anything else you throw (until you get some practice in).

- Go to one of the stores we mentioned. Find an Aviar, Wizard, Magnet, & Ion. Hold them in your hand and see if one immediately feels better in your hand than the others (or worse, for that matter). Then throw a couple short putts into the practice baskets set up in the store. I'm not sure what the etiquette is on putting with their new product, so you'll have to ask. One way or the other, I can guarantee that both shops have all three of those discs laying around or in an employee's car - so insist that you want to try putting with the discs if you have to (it won't be a problem though, I promise!). You'll probably like one more than the other at this point.

- Figure out your price range and which plastic/firmness you like the best. There are things to consider in this regard that the employees can help you with. It's safe to buy something heavier for your putter - something around 170g is reasonable middle ground, but a maximum weight putter isn't a bad thing (I carry 175g, and 167g putters when I play for different length putts and certain shots/wind).

2) Buy a versatile mid-range disc, and learn to make it do what you want.

The most common suggestions for this would be a Buzzz, Shark, or a Roc. If you buy a Roc, know that it'll have a steeper learning curve. Again, feel them in your hand and see if any of them feel really good. These three discs will all feel very different, so one might just jump out at you. My personal recommendation would be a Buzzz.

- The high 160 gram range will probably be pretty good.
You may consider buying a more expensive plastic. Your midrange will probably take more abuse than your putter and will start to fly differently very quickly if you buy the cheaper stuff. I personally prefer the cheap plastic for my midranges, but I have to buy new ones ALL the time. The nicer plastic does fly differently also, so you can either sneak the weight down a little closer to 165g, OR, you could make it a little heavier than you originally planned and consider it an investment. You'll grow into the disc as you improve.

3) You don't really need to worry about a driver for now.

Seriously. If you are brand new to the sport, you don't need one yet. Learn to throw your putter and midrange and you'll know when it's time to start experimenting with drivers.

THAT said, if you MUST have a driver (like we all felt when we started playing), you want something in the LOW 160g range, or even lighter (discs called "150 class").

If you're interested, I have a light, beat up Cheetah that's 148 grams. $2 if you want it. You'll grow out of it quickly, but it'll probably save you the money you would have spent on other discs trying to find the "right" driver that magically flies straight. =) When you're done with that, I've got a new-ish Sidewinder that would be a decent next disc ($3 for that one).

Otherwise, Leopard, Gazelle, Cyclone, Cheetah, Sidewinder, Xpress (I've got one of those I could let go of for cheap as well)...are all pretty good discs that you can learn a lot with.

Don't buy expensive plastic for your drivers until you find some that you really like. First of all, they'll tend to be a little harder to throw (at first). Secondly, you'll be trying so many different discs to find ones you like that it'll get really expensive. We all own a lot of discs, and you can try them out at our meetups for free!

I hope the info helps!
Aaron F.
user 11541439
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
Thanks, this is some good feedback! You should make it sticky to the top of the New Member forum or the Gear forum.
Kinnell
Kinnell
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 110
I disagree with Hoot on the low 160 for beginners. I aways suggest 169 or 168 for most beginners.

That being said, go get yourself a Putter like Jonothan says but just come on out and join us, we all have extra discs you can use. I personally suggest A Valkyrie for beginners as I feel it flies a certain way that it grows with you.

Now get out on the courses with us
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 119
...and here come the opinions! =)

For reference, my Teebirds are 168/169/172g. My XSes are more like 173ish because they're flippier. My Forces are 169/170.

When I started, a 175g Buzzz was hard to throw. I can't remember what my first driver was...but I threw midranges exclusively the first year.