|Sent on:||Sunday, October 21, 2012 9:33 AM|
Good Sunday morning to you all! We had another successful meeting last night for Astronomy Day at Brazos Bend Park. I've posted our pictures up on the site (waiting for EK to email me his), but here's the play by play from last night:
1. The park was FILLED with people, mosquitoes, and gators - yes, there were gators!
2. I had more fun than the kids that I brought along, in fact, I had TOO MUCH FUN.
3. I got to meet a guy who built his own Dobson scope. It takes a year to build one properly, and the guy who did it happened to be an engineer at Rice (who knows the physics prof that failed me fyi). You can build your own here: DIY Dobsonian scope
4. There were NASA flight simulators, astronauts present giving lectures, and a star guide with the coolest green laser to point out the constellations. I wanted to buy one, but apparently they are so powerful that if I shine one towards the sky and a plane is present, I could be arrested...
5. Trying to find other TShakes in the dark by screaming out their names, and having the lady behind you ask if you had lost your kids too.
6. Spending $100 at Buc-ees...I have an unhealthy obsession.
Here's a link to the TED page on astronomy. I would definitely look for Stephen Hawking's TED talk as well! Enjoy the end of the week.