align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Technologists of Color Message Board Technologists of Color Discussion Forum › Registration for the Hackathon

Registration for the Hackathon

Yolanda D.
niloyoung
Cumming, GA
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to personally reach out to ToC members to encourage you to participate in the #BlackHack Hackathon, which is a charity hackathon in benefit of @BlackGirlsCode.  This event is really unprecedented in Atlanta, in that it is focused on our community, and serves as the perfect medium for startups, developers and designers to get together in a creative and innovative way. The concept of a "hackathon" may be new to some, however these events are taking off in a major way in tech communities around the country. Check out this example event :

Big Brand Hackathon 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP1hL1ehcCE­

The best part about the #BHack, other than the free entry, free food, and prizes is that you can give back in a major way! Through your time and talents, BlackGirlsCode and other Non-profits and start-ups will have access to your skills for 24 hours which, in many cases, is worth it's weight in gold. Think of it as a Hackathon for a Good Cause!

My hope is that we not just take note of these events but we attend in strong numbers to show that not only do we have a voice in the tech community, but we are valuable assets and contributors to innovation.  Attending and participating in these events demonstrates to the business community at large that African Americans technologists have a presence here in Atlanta that can not be ignored. I had a conversation with a friend who believes that people who work in technology in the South are just not quick to move on opportunities like this.  I choose to think otherwise.

Let's prove them wrong ToC and get involved for all the right reasons! Sign up for FREE as a Developer or Designer or simply donate to the #BHack. Remember all are invited to attend (men and women).

I appreciate your time in reading this.  And I hope to see you there!

Yolanda D.