Our first Laughlin adventure has been suggested by Nina. Laughlin was purchased by Don Laughlin in 1964 and the rest is history. There are 60 restaurants 2 museums, 34 lane bowling alley, many shops and spas, water sports and gambling. Thanks go out to Keith and Elaine who will be pulling a trailer and providing ride support. The route has been carefully planned on the safest highways and with plenty of stops. Freeway will be avoided as a general rule. Any exceptions will be duly noted. Typical segment ride time: 1 hr. 15 mins.
Ride Rating: Advanced - Suitable for experienced riders only. This will be a long day of riding with long sections at sustained highway speeds. Make sure you and your scooter are in top condition for this ride. It is strongly suggested that you bring an extra gas container just in case.
Day 1 - Friday
Route updated[masked]: http://goo.gl/maps/3ZDTh
Step #17 has changed. See discussion for details.
- A: Betty Faye's Cafe, 718 N Main St # 101, Corona - Initial meetup point. KSU at 7:30am.
- B: Baker's Drive-Thru, 529 Beaumont Ave, Beaumont - pickup point and gas. KSU approximately 8:45am.
- C: Intersection of Dillon Rd and Indian Canyon Dr - pickup point. KSU approximately 9:45am - updated 2/10
- D: Denny's, 73669 Twentynine Palms Hwy, Twentynine Palms - lunch and gas
- E: Amboy Crater - On Historic Route 66. Stop to see Roy's Cafe & Motel a Historic Landmark, built in 1938. There are also two 6000 year old volcanos however only one has been preserved. Amboy Crater is 250 feet high and 1500 feet in diameter, it's last eruption about 500 years ago. These are two QUICK stops, for pics & restroom at Amboy Crater.
- F: Hi Sahara Oasis Gas, 31251 Goffs Rd, Essex - gas
- G: Tropicana Laughlin Hotel, 2121 S Casino Dr, Laughlin, NEVADA. ETA approximately 2pm - 3pm
Nina recommends roomstay.com for the best rates. Example: $30.00/night.
Day 2 - Saturday: Ride to Oatman, Arizona (30 miles on Route 66)
Route updated[masked]: http://goo.gl/maps/KxmdI
- A: Tropicana Laughlin Hotel, 2121 S Casino Dr, Laughlin, NV - KSU at 10am.
- B: AZ-95 and Boundary Cone Rd. - waypoint and gas.
- C: Oatman, NV - fun, food, and gas.
- D: Silver Creek Rd - waypoint. We'll take this scenic route back to the hotel.
- E: Tropicana Laughlin Hotel
Oatman is a former mining town on the Black Mountains of Mohave County Arizonia (2700 ft). The town was named after Olive Oatman, a girl kidnapped by Yavapai Indians and traded to the Mohave Indians. They adopted her as their daughter, she was released in 1855 near the site of the current town. Today the town is an authentic old western town, with wild burros roaming about , which can be hand fed, They are descendants from the original burros released by miners. Things to see are the Oatman Hotel where Clark Gable & Carol Lombard honeymooned after their wedding in Kingman in 1939. There are gunfights in the streets as well as shops with hand made leather goods and Indian crafts.
Day 3 - Sunday: Ride home
We'll go back the way we came. KSU: 9am