The Baltimore Vegan Meetup Group Message Board › More Comments on Grocery Bargains

More Comments on Grocery Bargains

Don R.
earthsaverdon
Group Organizer
Lutherville Timonium, MD
(replies will go only to organizer)

Hi Meetup Member,

I received quite a few responses to my email about Grocery Bargains at Aldi, most of which have good additional bargain info. So here they are:

MD Veg Social writes:

I avoid Wal-Mart like the plague. One peek into their human rights and environmental record was enough to send me elsewhere, pennies saved or not - and as it turns out, boycotting them isn't very costly for me. (The High Cost of Low Prices is a good documentary that covers these topics in a digestible format.)

Giant/Martins has a good selection of "specialty" foods, including non-dairy milks, tofu, etc. The stores in Hagerstown even have Vegenaise, nutritional yeast, and Earth Balance, meaning that (given enough requests and sales to justify it) Baltimore stores have the ability to carry these items as well. Place a request next time you go in!

Sun Fresh Produce in Pikesville has a great selection of produce for good prices. Their stock changes frequently, so sometimes they're out of spinach but at least you know what you buy is fresh. They also carry HUGE pitas that I like to use as thin-crust pizza base, Sabra hummus, phyllo dough, etc.

No recommendations for Red Star nutritional yeast, though. I usually buy whatever is in the bulk bin.

Dae Sung Grocery in Timonium (Deereco Road, walking distance from the Light Rail) is my favorite place to buy tofu, Sriracha, seaweed, any Asian food. The couple who runs the store are such nice people, and their prices are normally as low as, or lower than, anywhere else.

Trader Joe's! They have a store-brand goddess dressing that tastes just like Annie's. Their masala burgers taste like little flat samosas, and they're not as deep-fried-bad-for-you. Organic junk food, that weird multi-grain "milk" stuff, chipotle hummus, vegan chocolate chips... Lots of inexpensive treasures.

Cathy writes:

I usually get nutritional yeast in the bulk section of MOM's or wholefoods. It's the same things as Red Star but the flakes are slightly larger. It's also cheaper that way and you cut down on packaging which is always good!

I hope this helped!

Cathy

Mark Rifkin, RD, writes:

For a good price on Red Star Nutritional Yeast, check out either Health Concern (Towson) or Sunsplash (Pikesville). I believe they each have this in bulk.

Mark Rifkin
Registered Dietitian

Laura writes:

(Red Star Nutritional Yeast) Also at David's Natural Market in Columbia it is 8.99 per pound.

A member writes:

Does Walmart still sell animals like birds and fish? I started boycotting them years ago for selling them.
But if they stopped I'd like to check out their vegan stuff.

Judi writes:

For a really great price, you could get 1 lb. nutritional yeast for
$5.85 at Sonnewald Natural Foods in Spring Grove, PA. I just bought two
bags of it since I eat it every day in my salad along with ground
flaxseed, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds and a dressing with a combo
of apple cider vinegar and olive oil... awesome taste altogether! Enjoy!
A former member
Post #: 2
I would like to attend an event in Baltimore?

THANKS