addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Boston Arduino Users Group Message Board › Seeking advice on my LCD/Game shield design

Seeking advice on my LCD/Game shield design

David
logicalzero
Somerville, MA
Post #: 1
Hi, all... At one of the recent Arduino/Robotics dual meetups, I demonstrated the prototype of a GameBoy-esque shield I'd designed. Now that I'm on the verge of sending it out for manufacture I've gotten a bad case of cold feet. I was hoping I could get some expert advice to ease my mind.

My main concerns relate to some questions that came up during that meetup, specifically whether I was using the chip's hardware SPI pins for controlling the LCD. Looking further into it, I've realized that the pins I'm using for controlling the LCD and generating sound don't take advantage of the ATmega328's special features that aren't directly reflected in the Arduino's base libraries. Explicitly bit-banging data to the LCD seems to work well enough but I'm concerned about the audio.

If anyone is interested in taking a look at the design, send me a private message with your email address and I can send you the files (images of the schematic and board, exported Gerber files and the original Eagle files). They are all going to be released to the public (probably under some flavor of Creative Commons BY-SA license) when I release the board, but I'd like to avoid posting the current, untidy (and potentially incorrect) versions until then.

Thanks in advance. Hope to hear from you soon!

-David