Love seeing musical theatre (or any theatre for that matter) and can't always find someone to go with? Do you want to know about virtually EVERY musical playing in Calgary this year so you never again have to say, "gee, I wish I'd known that was playing!" - and maybe even get a discount and the occasional opportunity for a free ticket? Then this is the Meetup group for you. We also take in the occasional non-musical play or opera. If there is anything you want to see that's not on the calendar, please "Suggest a Meetup".
A few things to know about this group, especially for new members:
1. I list events ahead of time, and generally announce them about a month ahead, unless I've just added them. I try to include all the musicals I am aware of and other shows I think people might like. Feel free to make suggestions – anything musical OR theatrical is fair game
2. Unlike other Meetups, I generally don't pick the date in advance. Instead, I get input from those interested and try to find a date that meets most peoples' availability, in order to maximize the number of people who can go. Until a date is chosen, the date listed is just the first date we MIGHT go, not the actual date. I will remove the "needs a date" and "we have not picked a date yet" notations once a date is chosen. At that time (usually within a couple of weeks of announcement), I'll send an email ONLY to those people who've RSVP'd YES at that point, confirming ticketing arrangements. So if you're even mildly interested in going, do respond when the show is announced or you'll miss out on future communications.
3. I will provide ticketing instructions when the date is picked if not before. In general, I leave you to buy your own tickets, to speed up the process and make things simpler and cheaper, especially since I don’t attend all events. The first person to buy their ticket should let the group know where they’re sitting so others can sit nearby. Sometimes, I will just suggest we meet at the theatre and buy our tickets at the door. Many shows don’t have assigned seating anyway, in which case we can just meet at the box office and find our seats together if it's not a busy show. Some events (like dinner theatre) are more complicated –requiring a “host” to buy their ticket and hold a table, so others can buy their ticket directly from the theatre afterwards.
4. When I do buy tickets for the group, I will generally only do so after I've received your payment, unless I make a special arrangement with you to pay me at the theatre. In the latter case I will just change what I paid for the ticket. Otherwise, I will continue to add approximately $1 on top of the Paypal fee for tickets purchased on your behalf for my trouble. If you truly hate Paypal, I will also accept cash, cheque or interbank transfer by email. It's the same amount however you pay.
5. Often we are able to get 2 for 1 discounts using Entertainment or SUTP coupon booklets. As a courtesy to those (including me) who are offering up the other half of their coupon, those people who are not contributing coupons may be asked to pay up to $5 to the donor (or I will add that to the ticket price if I am buying them).
7. The membership fee for this group is $10/year - payable in January or at your first event. Please pay through the PAY DUES HERE event or when you see me live. This fee is refundable if you don't go to two events a year or you are otherwise not satisfied with the value you get from this site, which costs $180US/year for me to run.
8. If you need to reach me directly, contact me through my group profile or email@example.com. That's better than using the "Send message" option as my browser is too old to view or respond to these properly.
9. Note that I list many events that I don't attend myself, in order to provide more choices. When I don't attend I will designate a host to coordinate things if that's needed. Otherwise, I expect you all to make your own arrangements to meet up.
Thanks for your active support of and participation in the Calgary Musicals+ Meetup Group. Because of you I always have people to go to the theatre with, and I find myself going to shows I otherwise would miss. If you have any questions or would like to suggest a Meetup or volunteer to help organize one, please don't hesitate to contact me or suggest a Meetup.