Cambridge Semantic Web Message Board › Seeking Speakers for August Semantic Web meetup

Seeking Speakers for August Semantic Web meetup

A former member
Hi everyone,

Our next Semantic Web meetup at MIT is on August 10. We're interested in finding potential speakers for the session. Please email me if you would be interested in speaking, leading a discussion, or giving a demo in August. Please also email me if you have suggestions for topics or other speakers whom you'd be interested in seeing.

Perry G.
user 11189952
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 1
Some ideas:

1) FOAF for newbies.
Showing what people can do with FOAF today.

2) A tutorial on Needle.
I think it is great and has a lot of potential.

They have this video.­.
But doing a live example with some Boston/tech info might be good.

(I made a quick attempt (granted, I should put more time into this)
But I can't seem to open a link outside of Needle to get to the page, also mine is not geo-coded

3) An overview of the semantic web marketplace and technologies (someone did one a while ago, but it could be updated) (that might be a bit ambitious and long)

4) tech showcase: 5 minute pitches by companies on what they are doing with semantic technologies.

5) Discussion of the to 5 (or 10) problems that can/should be addressed by semantic web and linked data
glenn m.
Boston, MA
Post #: 3
Re: Perry's Needle suggestion

Because Needle is still in private beta, you need an account to see other users' datasets. They're free, though: just go to and hit Signup, and mention in the signup form that you want to be part of Needle Commons. After you log in you'll see a list of lots of stuff, including Perry's Boston events demo.

I'm always happy to show Needle stuff, and although I've talked about others pieces of it at previous meetings, I think Perry is talking about its data acquisition (including web scraping), which I haven't shown to this group. But I'm not trying to monopolize the forum...