Cambridge Semantic Web Message Board › Job: Research Scientist. VIStology, Inc. Framingham, MA.
VIStology, Inc. (Framingham, MA) has an immediate opening for a Research Scientist to join a small, high-powered team focused on the research and development of intelligent applications using semantic technologies for the automated analysis of large, heterogeneous sources of data. The problems we work on are from the domains of information fusion, situation awareness and semantic information processing; our solutions leverage semantic technologies (e.g., RDF/OWL, SWRL/RIF, automated reasoners -- including our own BaseVISor inference engine, supporting OWL 2 RL), distributed web services, Java/XML programming languages and natural language processing.
In addition to serving as the Principal Investigator on one or more research projects, the primary responsibilities of this position include:
• Identifying new research opportunities
• Analyzing problem domains and data sets
• Participating in the conceptualization of innovative semantic solutions
• Designing formal ontologies and knowledge bases
• Developing conceptual and functional prototypes
• Writing internal reports, technical papers and research proposals
Qualified candidates are expected to meet the following minimum requirements:
• Ph.D., in computer science with a concentration in artificial intelligence, semantic technologies, computational linguistics or a closely related field
• U.S. citizenship (for access to government documents)
• Three or more years of research and development experience in industry or academia
• Proven experience working with and developing solutions based on semantic technologies
• Solid grounding in math and logic
• Strong verbal and technical writing skills
Additional desirable skills include:
• Java and XML/XSLT proficiency
• Knowledge-based systems experience (e.g. BaseVISor, CLIPS, Jess, Prolog)
• Familiarity with web services (e.g. SOAP, WSDL, UDDI, OWL-S)
• Software engineering, UML modeling
• Security clearance
VIStology, Inc. is a small, privately held R&D company located in Framingham, MA. Since 1997 we have been fully funded through government research grants (e.g., SBIR/STTR) and contracts. We are committed to demonstrating excellence in the research and development of principled techniques and algorithms for the semantic analysis of large volumes of heterogeneous (structured and unstructured) and often imprecise or uncertain data. Examples of this type of work include developing methods to aid in “situation awareness” (i.e., understanding what is occurring in an evolving situation through the analysis of incoming data) as well as techniques for performing “information fusion” by which information from multiple data sources is fused into a unified characterization of an object or of relations among objects. We are investigating ways in which formal semantic representations and automated reasoning can be used to more effectively and efficiently capture the meaning of data, extract implicit knowledge and identify value-added and actionable intelligence.
Employee Benefits: VIStology strives to remain competitive and will work to compile a salary and benefits package commensurate with each employee’s experience, skill-level and individual needs. VIStology offers a flexible work environment. Convenient location near the Natick Mall and Army Research Labs.
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and CV or resume via email to jobs at vistology dot com.
* Location: Framingham, MA
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please, no phone calls about this job!
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.