Would anyone like to help out?
Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:33 PM
Obama inspired me last night. Would anyone like to help make this group bigger and better?
Here are some things I need help with:
1. I need a standard flier that I can use monthly to post around town. Anyone good at this sort of thing? I have ideas for design and wording but I'm not an artist (by any stretch of the imagination). Also, I would like to be able to print them cheaply or for free.
2. For our December meeting I'm planning on having a festive potluck and I am looking for a few people to share their stories on food/health experiences and cooking experiences. I am looking for veterans and newbies alike.
3. Any ideas for growing this group? Can everyone please post on other online groups to spread the word?
4. Volunteers for the GIFT project. Please see below for more information on what this is. Briefly, every Sat. morning I sit at the Edgewater Farmers' Market and solicit fresh produce donations for our Edgewater (and surrounding area) food pantry. Shoppers are encouraged to buy a little extra produce from the farmers (helps them out too) and they donate it to me. The Pantry is open on Sat. mornings so the members are getting the food super fresh.
5. Donations are welcome. At this point mostly needed for printing fliers.
Thanks everyone! Everyday I am excited about helping people eat more healthy, have more fun in the kitchen and buy more food from our local (beloved) farmers and less from big supermarkets. Does this inspire you too?
More details on GIFT:
GIVE IT FRESH TODAY
A PROPOSAL TO PROVIDE FRESH-FROM-THE-FARM FOOD TO MEMBERS OF A LOCAL FOOD PANTRY
THE CHICAGO CHAPTER OF THE WESTON A. PRICE FOUNDATION
The food pantry, Care For Real, located at 6044 N. Broadway in Edgewater is a well-established neighborhood resource for low-income and below-poverty level households. Care For Real (CFR) has been providing food, clothing and household goods to residents of Edgewater for over 35 years. However, the food that is provided at the Pantry is almost exclusively in the form of canned and dry goods.
Give It Fresh Today is an initiative by the Chicago Chapter of the Weston A. Price Foundation (CCWAPF) to help improve the health and lifestyles of our local community members. The mission of the Give It Fresh Today (GIFT) project is to provide food pantry members with fresh, local food that has been donated at area farmer?s markets. It is our belief that fresh fruit and vegetables and local pasture-raised meats and dairy are essential for optimal health.
The common belief that donated food cannot be the healthiest foods available, does a great disservice to those in need. On the contrary, it can be argued that those struggling at the subsistence level need healthy foods the most. Highly nutrient-dense foods, such as meat, eggs and vegetables, in small quantities provide more nutrition and satisfaction than large quantities of processed packaged goods. Further, it can be assumed that many of the members are unable to afford health insurance. The maintenance of good health for those relying on the state for health care can only benefit our economy in the long run. And above all, good physical and mental health, brought about by a nutrient-rich diet, may help facilitate successful job placement and promotions, leading to the ultimate goal of helping these families return to being fully productive, contributing members of society.