June 14, 2012 · 5:30 PM
This location is shown only to members
Hey everyone. Our meeting is this Thursday and I have some info.
- Tableau Software is sponsoring our meeting this week. That means that we will have pizza, beer, and soft drinks to get us started! Please thank Suzanne Hoffman, Director of Channel at Tableau when you see her on Thursday.
- O'Reilly has provided a few books that we'll be giving away to a few lucky attendees.
- Here is the schedule for the evening
- 5:30: Doors open (You are free to come earlier but you may be enlisted to help set up some chairs and ice down drinks.)
- 6:00: Josh Doyle with a brief overview of the Chicago Data Visualization Group
- 6:10: Suzanne Hoffman, Tableau Software
- 6:20: Andy Kirk presenting on "The 8 Hats of Data Visualization"
- 7:00: Q & A
- ~7:30: Adjourn
- Reminder that our meeting is at TechNexus, 15th Floor, 200 S. Wacker Drive. There are several parking garages in the area. Unfortunately, there is a lot of construction on Wacker and some intersections are blocked to pedestrian traffic. Check the Revive Wacker Drive website for up to date details.
See you Thursday. Original Message
Please join us for this inaugural meeting of the Chicago Data Visualization Group. Andy Kirk will be discussing "The 8 Hats of Data Visualization". Here is the description from his website:
The 8 Hats of Data Visualization – The nature of data visualization as a truly multi-disciplinary subject introduces many challenges to those wishing to achieve mastery. You might be a creative but how are your analytical skills? Good at closing out a design but how about the initial research and data sourcing? In this talk we will learn about the many different ‘hats’ a visualization designer needs to wear in order to effectively deliver against these demands. Whether a single person will fulfill these roles, or a team collaboration will be set up to cover all bases, this presentation will help you understand the duty requirements of any visualization problem context.
We will get started at 5:30 with some time to network and Andy will begin shortly after 6 pm. We are a new meetup and don't have a sponsor yet so the event is BYO. There are some folks interested in heading to the South Branch Tavern afterwards for anyone interested. Please make sure you have RSVP'd to the meeting with your full legal name and bring ID as it will be checked by building security. Also note that Wacker is under construction and some intersections are blocked to all traffic.
More on Andy Kirk
Andy Kirk is a consultant, designer and trainer. He has recently presented and judged at Malofiej 20 - Infographics World Summit and Awards. In September, he will be presenting at Big Data World in London.
Read more about Andy. I also suggest you listen to Andy on episodes 4 & 5 of datastori.es--Enrico Bertini and Moritz Stefaner's podcast on datavisualization.