addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Classic Novels Club of the North Metro Message Board › Club Odds and Ends

Club Odds and Ends

John W.
user 13256333
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Greetings,

We finally have snow on the ground, so we can justify sitting in a warm, cozy chair reading our classic novels! We had an excellent discussion of "An American Tragedy" on January 12; we could have used more time to probe some issues even further.

We have two meetings scheduled for February, including a discussion of a nonfiction book "Eichmann in Jerusalem." The consensus among our most active members is to restrict our reading selections to classic novels. These members stated that a desire to read and discuss books in this genre is why they joined us. So going forward, classic novels will be the only type of book we read for our discussions. For anyone who wants to read and discuss nonfiction, it's possible to set up another Meetup group. Some of our members might want to belong to both groups.

I recently changed our Home Page to more accurately describe our group to prospective members. Under SPECIAL NOTE: I made clear that the main focus of our times together is true book discussion, not socializing. Many people have told me that other so-called book clubs they belonged to were more about chit-chat, and that few people actually even cracked the book that was supposed to be discussed. We're a friendly group, but we're hardcore, serious readers.

For those coming to discuss "Jane Eyre", at the start of our meeting we should briefly close out our discussion from last month of "An American Tragedy." One member thought that we should have explored more in-depth the motivations of the main character, Clyde Griffiths, to commit murder. Did social and economic forces cause Clyde's actions, as the author implied, or were Clyde's actions the result of his personal failings? Even if you didn't read "An American Tragedy", the question is general enough for everyone to be able to contribute to the discussion.

I'm about 60% through "Jane Eyre". A truly great book from an exceptional writer. We will have a wealth of topics to discuss. The passages expressing feelings of romantic love have more true sensuality than all Harlequin romances put together (this statement is based, of course, only on third party information). Those passages melted even a grizzled old devotee of nonfiction - history and economics - like I am. This is chicklit that all serious readers - including men - can admire.

A former member
Post #: 20
Hi John and All,
I smiled when I read your post. I have often remarked (mostly to myself) that all the Harlequin romances and other gothic novels are just poor imitations of Jane Eyre. I would rather read Jane a thousand times over than to waste my time on shallow substitutes. I have a myriad of reasons why Jane Eyre is better but I will save them for our discussion.

See you soon!

Alice