addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Classic Novels Club of the North Metro Message Board › Great Books Chicago 2012

Great Books Chicago 2012

A former member
Post #: 2
Allow me to promote an upcoming event that may be of interest to our group: the Great Books Chicago 2012 program held April 28 - 30 in Chicago and sponsored by the Great Books Foundation. A description of the 3-day program may be found here.

The theme this year is Things Fall Apart. We probe the eternal question of whether or not we can resist Entropy and its incessant pull towards decline and decay. Participants will discuss Shakespeare's Timon of Athens, the novel Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, and collections of poems by Yeats, Shelley and others. Among the cultural activities planned are a tour of the Art Institute and a performance of Timon of Athens at the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre.

I will attending this year's event, and have attended many since its inception in 2000. Feel free to contact me with questions.
John W.
user 13256333
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
Larry, thanks for posting this information. Some of our members may be interested in another discussion group that focuses on Great Books. On the Meetup site, type in "Great Books Edina" and "Minneapolis" for location to learn about this group.

I attended the first meeting in February and was impressed with the calibre of the group members. We had an excellent discussion around serious topics raised in our reading selection.

I know what you're thinking: how can I find time to do yet more reading for another group? The good news is that the monthly Great Books reading selections probably take at most 10% of the time to read as do our classic novels. So people could belong to both groups without getting committed to too excessive of a reading regimen.

John Webster