addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Central Ohio Gamedev Group Message Board › New home needed for the group

New home needed for the group

Todd B.
ToddBarchok
Westerville, OH
Post #: 20
As good as tracermedia has been to this group, with 30 or more people showing up to every meeting, we've out grown the space. Next week's meetup is likely going to be the last one at tracermedia.

I know that OSU and the Columbus library have community rooms we could use, and various restaurants around town have meeting rooms. However, in some cases parking is limited or costs money, or the space closes down fairly early (for me, half the fun of the these meetups is the random conversations that are going on at 10pm) Ideally, I'd like to avoid all these issues.

The two options that would probably fit these requirements are TechColumbus, and the DEC The DEC is probably more feasible, since the Ohio Game Incubator rents space there, but it is a fair distance from Central Columbus, and is definitely a long drive for some members of the group.

A new location is the 'unofficial' topic of next weeks meeting, so suggestions are welcome.
Leonard R.
user 19882211
Columbus, OH
Post #: 1

Looking forward to the meeting.
Sarah
user 13060447
Powell, OH
I definitely prefer the DEC, but I am also from the north side.
Todd B.
ToddBarchok
Westerville, OH
Post #: 21
I'd say there's a good chance the next meeting will be at the DEC, in mid/late August. I've got something different planned, and hopefully it go well. I'll be sending an email soon to gauge interest.

One of the locations that was brought up was the Center for Workforce Development, suggested by Peter Carswell, if we can work out a solution for parking, then we might use that for regular meetings. Or use a rotating location, so people don't end up having to drive really far all the time.
Sarah
user 13060447
Powell, OH
Post #: 2
Rotating meeting locations can get confusing. I feel it is best to stick with a location.
A former member
Post #: 8
Hi, I’m starting up meet-ups in the Cincinnati area. But that’s most likely too far for most of you to travel. I’m in contact with Zoo games to hold the meetings at their building. I’m also looking for a guest speaker for the first meeting. Somebody to speak about their experience as a game developer and how to succeed as an indie.

Sorry I know this doesn’t help you guys out with finding a new home for your meetings. But if any of you are close enough to Cincinnati and interest in this please let me know.
The reason why I’m posting this here is because it would seem that the Cincinnati meet-up group is dead. No meetings in well over a year and nobody seems to log on the site on a regular basis.

Thanks
Jason Noe
jnoe_2010@yahoo.com
Damien C.
user 10964982
Columbus, OH
Post #: 11
Wow - Actually, while I understand why someone would want to change locations, I did not have an issue with tracermedia at all. DEC is very far away, as I bike everywhere; the closest bus would only get me to Tuttle Mall, and it's still 4 miles from there if I am not mistaken. Would hate to miss out :-(

I believe most parking at the Center for Workforce Development is metered or permit only for students.

What's wrong with TechColumbus ?
Todd B.
ToddBarchok
Westerville, OH
Post #: 22
We'll probably stick with a single location. Rotating locations can be confusing, and would almost certainly result in people showing up at the wrong place far more often.

@Jason Noe Good luck with the Cincinnati group! About a year ago, this group was dead, but regular meetings and/or emails to the group has helped turn it into something with plenty of participants.

@Damien Calloway Tracermedia has been awesome, but they recently turned their conference room into an arcade. And while that is awesome, it doesn't really give us a place to do presentations (because those can be useful sometimes). Last meeting there was about 15-20 people, which worked out, but much more than that and we would have likely ran out of space. I'd love to keep using tracermedia, but the group has simply become too big :(

The only thing 'wrong' with TechColumbus is that no one (that I know of) in the group has access to it afterhours, whereas the Ohio Game Incubator has a desk at the DEC, so it becomes a lot more feasible to have events at the DEC, where we don't have to worry about getting kicked out after some arbitrary time. I realise that the DEC is pretty far away, and it'd suck to have people miss out on meetings because of that. I'm not sure if there's a good solution though.

What I'd like to do for the next meeting is have it be Saturday at the DEC. My original plan was to have the date be August 20th, the same as the next main Ludum Dare, unfortunately, I'm going to busy that weekend. So, it'll be the weekend after that unless someone wants to volunteer to run the meeting.
A former member
Post #: 10
Thanks Todd, I hope you guys find a new home!
For anybody that’s interested the Cincinnati meet-up will be at Zoo games @ their office in the Rockwood Towers. The date will be August 11th (8/11/11) from 6:00pm-8:00pm. The date is not set in stone. Please let me know if you are interested in attending this or if you have any questions. Also below is a link to the web site.
http://www.meetup.com...­
Christof W.
user 38886992
Columbus, OH
I don't know if this would be helpful at all, but a lot of specialty board game stores have a lot of space. They use it for game tournaments, demos, etc... I don't know for sure that any of them allow their space to be rented or reserved, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. If they do have available space it might be a great place since there would be plenty of room and board games share a lot of game design topics and theories with videogames, not to mention loads of videogamers love board games too.

Just my two cents.