Columbia Atheists Message Board › A personal sharing

A personal sharing

theFredprocess
the_Fred_process
Columbia, MO
Post #: 7
Hi

During the past two or so decades I have terminated about five intimate relationships, all for the same reason. In the case of one of them which I will use as an exemplar, when I blurted out something making fun of New Age beliefs the she would make a valiant attempt to make me have a bad day. (This being more than a decade since my kensho realization thus making it all the more amusing, both in retrospect and at the time.) I am willing and able to guard what my mouth says at work, no problem. If I have to guard what my mouth says, then I need to ruthlessly guard what my mind thinks, and this transforms the nominal home situation into a work situation. I do not categorize such situations as being “home.”

I would like to shout out a word of thanks to Greg, et al, for fashioning a social group which I experience as a few hours of home per week.

Gassho (It’s that deep Zen bow to fellow intrepid explorers of the wilds of the introspective)
the Fred process
Carla B.
tekvet
Columbia, MO
Post #: 56
Thanks for sharing. And that closely reflects how I feel about the group too -- a safe space where you don't have to worry so much about being "offensive" or "arrogant" for questioning things both deep and shallow. Sometimes it amazes me that the group keeping ticking along every week with no real agenda and then I realize that the randomness IS the reason it's so chaotically stable. I'm glad you feel it too.

Carla
Dave
user 10231222
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 1,406
Been a while since I've posted here, so please forgive my absence. But I agree. I can and will self censor at work. But among family and friends...not so much.

Sure, I'll still try not to say things that are hurtful or deliberately provocative. That's just being nice. But I'm not going to pretend to be something I'm not, pretend to believe something I don't or pretend that I don't find certain things outright absurd.