The DC High Dynamic Rangers Message Board › Anyone for Aug Meteor Shower at Big Meadows?

Anyone for Aug Meteor Shower at Big Meadows?

Craig K.
user 19194861
Ijamsville, MD
Post #: 1
Was looking to go to Big Meadows on August 10th or 11th to photograph the meteor shower and star trails. Anyone going for the meteor shower?

Also thinking of buying one of the inexpensive Rokinon 8mm lenses to try. Anyone have any experience with them and star trails, etc?

Thanks...
Tom F.
tfinzel
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 50
Hi Craig,

The weather is not looking good for this weekend and the Meteor Shower. I don't have the Rokinon 8 mm lens but quite a few guys in the group do and they seem to get good results with it in general. It may be too wide for astrophotography. The wider the lens the less movement you will get in your star-trails and the meteor streaks will look shorter than with a tighter lens.

What is generally important for a Milky way shot is a wider aperture. Usual starting point is 30 sec, f2.8 ISO 3200. If your lens is a stop or two slower than that you need to make up the difference by raising you ISO and thus noise. If you decrease your shutter speed to something over 30 sec you will get more pronounced star trailing in a milky way shot.

Craig, I'm pretty sure you understand all this. :) I hope I answered your question.