addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The North Texas Aquaponics Meetup Group Message Board › IBC for Rainwater need advice for paint

IBC for Rainwater need advice for paint

Carol W.
user 86799452
North Richland Hills, TX
Post #: 4
I bought and extra IBC and want to set it up to catch rainwater to fill up my fish tank.
what I need to know is what kind of paint do I use to seal it from algae? Do I need to use a primer like Keels first or what? Any help would be appreciated..

Bob J.
user 18667641
Garland, TX
Post #: 90
I painted one IBC with lawn furniture paint from Home Depot, If you rough up the surface a bit the paint sticks better, but still is not real sturdy.
My second rain catch IBC, I wrapped with a dark brown Tarp from home depot. It worked well. I used black gorilla tape to tape up the edges, and caulked around the base of the lid and water input hole.
Rainwater Collection System Part 3: Covering The Totes­
Ken W.
Arlington, TX
Post #: 1
If you're going to paint your rain barrel, paint it on the OUTSIDE and paint it BLACK. Painting the inside surface may contaminate the water over time. Of course, if your rain barrel is completely open-top and exposed to sunlight then you're gonna get algae no matter what the inside surface is or is coated with.

My "rain barrel" (a 65-gallon black plastic drum) never grows algae, probably because it lets in no light and algae needs light to grow.