addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Edmonton ShutterBugs - A Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Ghost town locations

Ghost town locations

A former member
Post #: 22
Ooooohhh I'd love to take my cameras for a walk around some of those.

Let's plan something when the weather warms up a little bit.
A former member
Post #: 28
Are you taking our bike? If not, want some company? I spent years on the back roads between Edmonton and the Sask. border and have hundreds of old house pictures. Time to find them again. And there is an old school just out of Smokey Lake that you can't take enough pictures of.
A former member
Post #: 14
And there is an old school just out of Smokey Lake that you can't take enough pictures of.

There is a really interesting stone community hall on the west side of # 855 (or maybe 857) south of the river. Victoria Settlement might also present some interesting views as the river loosens up.
A former member
Post #: 23
When next weekend?

I live in vegreville and I'm interested in tagging along.

Even the weather looks like it'll co-operate with us...!
A former member
Post #: 29
I was looking through my old photos and - lo and behold - Em-Te Town. I was there in 2005. It's outside of Alder Flats (SE of Edmonton) about 1.5 hour drive. It had about a 5 mile gravel road to the entrance, so leave the good car at home! In the good old days, some oil tycoon wanted a place to party, so he collected a bunch of old buildings, added some new ones to look like pioneer ones, and presto! a ghost town. It also has a big campground now and you can get a coffee. I put some photos onto our "Miscellaneous: photo album. The link is
This might even be good for a meetup destination.
And better yet - it opens tomorrow for the summer season! YAAAAAH!
user 45121852
St. Albert, AB
Post #: 5
I would really love to head out on "old towns" photo shoot. Some of the still running towns have some historical value to photograph so I am told. count me in for sure!
user 30387752
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 3
Can one go to Em-te before they open for the season or is the place locked down? .
A former member
Post #: 16
It will be muddy and may be snowed in until mid-May, though they say they will do private functions there startung April 1. It is private property, so wandering in is not recommended. I believe the owners are on nearby land and if you cannot contact them though the www site http://www.emtetown.c...­ , you may be able to talk to them directly. The small towns east of there are interesting subjects even if you can't get access.
A former member
Post #: 32
I am going to post further EM-TE town info on the new link I started to try to prevent self-confusion. So let's go there to continue this particular subject. OK?
A former member
Post #: 1
Heinsberg, Alberta is a great spot to check out. It's locals are always more than happy to show anyone around. They boast they have the only remaining restored 60,000 gallon CN water tower in Canada. It's a great day trip and if you're the camping type, there's a campground right there along the North Sask. river. I've spent time there taking photographs. It used to be the end of the track. I'd be happy to hook anyone up with a tour.