Now that Labor Day 2010 has come and gone it is time for the Monterey Bay Area Hiking Group to launch it's 2nd season of wilderness hikes that will fully leverage the natural beauty and awe that lies just south of the Monterey Peninsula.? Fall, winter, and spring are the best times of the year to dust off your hiking boots, pack your gear, and head out for some all-day back country adventures right here in the heart of Monterey county.? And the best part is that unlike hiking in the Sierra which generally shuts down due to snow/ice during Winter, our back country wilderness is accessible year-round with temperatures rarely getting below freezing near sea level.??
This year we will continue the Ventana Series of wilderness hikes and additionally offer some hikes even further south into the Silver Peak Wilderness.? Both ACE and volunteer-led trail crews have been making remarkable progress in restoring trails to a stock passable and even hiker-passable condition.? There hasn't been a better time to head into the Ventana Wilderness since the catastrophic fires that raged through this area back in 2008.? Ventana destinations for the remainder of 2010 and into 2011 will include:?
- Cone Peak via Nacimiento-Fergusson Road (currently scheduled for September 12th)
- Cone Peak via Vicente Flat Trail (from Hwy 1)
- Hare Canyon to Limekiln State Park
- Junipero Serra Peak (highest point in Monterey County)
- Pine Ridge Traverse (China Camp to Big Sur)
- Pine Valley (with side trip to Pine Falls, the highest waterfall in the Ventana Wilderness)
- South Ventana Cone
- Ventana Cone
- Ventana Double Cone
- Sykes Hot Springs
- Cabezo Prieto Ridge (Big Sur to Andrew Molera SP)
- Pico Blanco
- Anastasia Canyon to Bear Trap Canyon
- Black Butte
- Anderson & Marble Peaks (via DeAngulo Trail)
- Cone Peak via Santa Lucia Memorial Park
- Prewitt Loop Trail (in the Silver Peak Wilderness)
- 2nd Annual Carmel River Run (Summer 2011)
- 2nd Annual Arroyo Seco Gorge Hike & Swim (Summer 2011)
- 2nd Annual Hot Springs Day Retreat at Tassajara Mountain Zen Center (Summer 2011)
Other hiking events in the surrounding vicinity will include:
- 2nd Annual Moonlight Hike at Pinnacles National Monument
- North Wilderness Loop at Pinnacles
- Chalone Peaks via South Wilderness Trail (Pig Fence) at Pinnacles National Monument
Many of these events will be day hikes ranging in distance between 12 miles on the low side all the way up to 25+ miles.?? Additionally some backpacking trips will be scheduled as well (weather permitting) to offer treks of longer duration to even deeper areas within the wilderness.?
Please check our calendar for updates as they get posted and I look forward to seeing you on the trail!??