The Mountain Bike Meetup Message Board › Missions Trail Ride - March 5th, 2011

Missions Trail Ride - March 5th, 2011

A former member
Post #: 1
I imagined this ride would be canceled due to rain, but it actually wasn't that bad!

I got to the Concepción Mission parking lot at 9:00 a.m., all dressed up and with no intention to go back home! It started raining moderately around 9:10 along with a shining sun that would make you wear sunglasses. It stopped raining at 9:30. I waited until 9:40 in case anyone would show up. At 9:40, I started my lone ride, though there were six other independent cyclists about to start their rides at this time. It was a gorgeous morning going southbound without clouds and plenty of sunshine. I rode with the wind all the way to Espada Mission via San José Mission, Stinson Airport and the Espada Aqueduct.

Coming back was a somewhat different story! I rode against cold wind gusts. From the Espada Mission, I rode to the Capistrano Mission via the east side of the river bank (Villamain Road). Just past Capistrano, the entrance to the trail to the Espada Dam was not blocked, so I took it. Bad decision!!! About two miles up, the wooden bridge over a creek tributary was blocked and I didn't feel like going back to Capistrano. I actually pulled my bike over the bridge guard rail, jumped the guardrail, and carried the bike up to the creek's edge. That must have been a 500 calorie effort.

From the dam, I rode to San José Mission uneventful, but with a strong wind. From San José back to the parking lot in Concepción Mission, the wind was so strong I had to ride on the lowest gears and still was pedaling under 6 mph! All in all, did 13. 5 miles in 1 hour 10'.

Hope we can schedule this one again soon, but without the wind!!!!

José Díaz
Louie C.
user 11601786
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 2
You da man! Did Olivia ride with you? Yes, we'll schedule this ride again.
A former member
Post #: 2
Nope... the cold rain changed Olivia's mind at the last minute.