The NYC Personal Historians Message Board › Thanks you from the bottom & top of my heart!

Thanks you from the bottom & top of my heart!

Martie M.
MartieMcNabb
Group Organizer
Brooklyn, NY
Our first meeting of 2012 was our largest to date - though our summer gathering at Peter S's was a close rival:)

First I want to take a moment and welcome our newest members who joined us & shared their excitement, their work & their stories!

Welcome David S! Your photo books & the story of how you rescued the images is definitely the kind of thing personal historians love! You may still not know if you are a good fit for this group - but don't let the "personal" in personal historian foul you! I believe that the only reason you had the chance to tell the story of the building of the Chrysler Building is because an individual person, the photographer, captured that event. It is through people that history is made, told etc isn't it? Personal Historians are grateful for each time someone cares enough to rescue a story! Without you David that story would have been lost! So I encourage you to give us a chance:)

Welcome Lisa & Jamie from StoryKeep in Brooklyn! I'm so happy to have you both join us! Your warmth, smiles & caring talent shows & I look forward to seeing & learning more. Thanks Kristina of LaTour de Force productions for joining us as well! I can tell from your gentle manner that you must put people at ease who entrust you with their story. Efrain I'm so happy that someone told you about our Meetup! Your project is fascinating & I'd love to learn more & see how I can help. As always it was great to see my "old" favorites Bob, Mary, Elisabeth, Ivana & Julie & to see you again David L !

Several members were not able to make it because of business or personal conflicts & I appreciate you letting me know & caring about this group! You were missed & I look forward to seeing you next month:)

A few thoughts:

a.) Though this past year was needed to set the social foundation of this group( I have a T-shirt that says "Life is short. Work with people you like."), I believe that we are in a position to begin working together to promote the personal historian field, the Association of Personal Historians (APH) & our individual businesses?

b.)With our #'s growing & the possibility of planning events it may be time to set an agenda? Have a rotation of people who do a "Show & Tell" of their projects? Find a venue where we can show our work more easily? And have a small team to work more closely in between Meetups to plan & market our events/field/work?

c.) To clarify: You do not have to be a member of APH to be a member of this group! Though APH is one of the best organizations I have ever had the pleasure of joining, I do know that we all get cash strapped from time to time! I do however encourage you to have a look at their website @ http://www.personalhi...­ & see all the resources & benefits they offer (for $200!). I will be hosting quarterly meeting for APH members only to strengthen our local chapter & do hope you will join us if & when you know it will be a good fit for you!

I welcome your thoughts, ideas & energy! You will be hearing from me soon about our next gathering & to see who wants to work with me to plan & promote our important art/work!

Thanks for your time & I look forward to hearing from you!:) martie