The New York Roof Deck and Roof Gardening Meetup Group Message Board › New Meetup: Rites of Spring. Upper West Side roofdeck visit, Thurs. April 14

New Meetup: Rites of Spring. Upper West Side roofdeck visit, Thurs. April 14

Peter W.
user 5165404
New York, NY
Announcing a new Meetup for The New York Roofdeck and Roofgardening Meetup Group!

What: Rites of Spring. Upper West Side roofdeck visit, Thurs April 14, 6:30 pm
When: Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:30-8:30 PM

Where: Monica's roofdeck
119 West 92nd Street, Apt.7
New York, NY 10025

Why: This is when gardeners come to life.

Visit a nicely planted roofdeck on the Upper West side. Our meetups are rain or shine, and this particular deck visit has a limit of 35 members.

Time is Thursday, April 14, from 6:30 -8:30. Try to get there at the beginning if you can--it keeps the energy going.

Based on suggestions from people in the group, we're going to try a brief demo of planting techniques. I am still looking for a genuine experienced gardener to help with this. Note that I have a car and can give you a lift with supplies if necessary, and help carry. Ideal person would know about soils, watering, pruning, assorted flowers and shrubs. If a volunteer doesn't emerge, Kathy and I will give the demo, having have been rooftop gardeners for about 7 years now, attending the odd workshop, reading books. This is pretty much how everybody does it except for the career gardeners in the group. Plant. Wait impatiently. See if it dies or not. Thankfully, things tend to live, occasionally even thrive.

Our demo at a minimum will be a brief overview to planting a container the right way, and will last about 20-30 min. The rest of the event will consist of the usual non-format--meeting and talking to other gardening enthusiasts. Monica's place is a 4th story walk-up, means no elevator, so please be a stair climber if you make a reservation. This should be a perfect time for meeting up, like, actual spring.

As always, that night you can call my cell with any issues, at 1 917-747-7821. Otherwise, make your reservation and turn up. Talk with people who share a love of urban plants and gardens.

Check it out!