The New York Roof Deck and Roof Gardening Meetup Group Message Board › Seed-Savers Exchange - founded 1975 - get your Heirlooms here

Seed-Savers Exchange - founded 1975 - get your Heirlooms here

Josh
user 36422552
Brooklyn, NY
Hi All,
I recently started ordering seeds online for items I could not find locally.  Someone from the BBG suggested "The Seed-Savers" organization and I wanted to share their newsletter and a quick review.
From the Seed-Savers website: "Seed Savers Exchange is a non-profit organization dedicated to saving and sharing heirloom seeds. Since 1975, our members have been passing on our garden heritage by collecting and distributing thousands of samples of rare garden seeds to other gardeners."
Their mission is "Conserving and promoting America's culturally diverse but endangered food crop heritage for future generations by collecting, growing, and sharing heirloom seeds and plants."
http://www.seedsavers.org/­

They offer a wide selection of hard to find items, are reasonably priced and in my experience always include "Extra's" in your order.    To date I've put in 2 orders from them. Once for "Mexican Sour Gherkins", and once for "Aunt Molly's ground cherries".   I've called 2x and the people were very friendly and helpful (they are based in Iowa ).   My orders included extra an "Apple green Eggplant" seed packet and a "German Lettuce" variety i've never seen.  More importantly, their seeds had about an 80% germination rate, which is much higher than other seeds I've used.  All seeds are non-GMO.
Below is their monthly newsletter.  Take a look and bookmark their site for future orders:
June Newsletter from Seed Savers Exchange
Register now for the 33rd Annual Conference and Campout on July 19-21!

Join seed saving experts and amateur gardeners for an exciting weekend on Seed Savers' beautiful 890-acre Heritage Farm. Internationally celebrated author, ethnobotanist, and activist Gary Paul Nabhan will keynote the event, speaking about the importance of adapting food production to a changing climate. Nabhan is heading a roster of experts from around the world set to speak at the conference.

A variety of informative workshops and fun activities are planned throughout the weekend!
Workshop Tracks:

• Seed Saving
  • About Seed Savers Exchange
  • Community Seed Projects
  • General Gardening

Activities:

• Seed Swap
  • Hike the 8 miles of trails
  • Tour the gardens, historic orchard, and facilities
  • Bean Hole
  • Barn Dance
  • Live Music
  • Great Food
  • Trout Fishing
  • Outdoor Movie
  • Dig & Discover- Youth Activities

Garden tips: trellising
Check out our blog to see how the SSE garden crews utilize various trellis systems throughout Heritage Farm.

Starting a community garden?

Learn about our Seed Donation Program!
Non-profits, schools, community gardens, and educational programs in the U.S. are eligible to receive Herman's Garden seed donations.

Maine-based author David Buchanan of "Taste, Memory" will deliver a lecture in the garden following a local, organic meal prepared by the Pepperfield Project. Register by June 17. Learn more here.

Seeds to Grow:
A healthy new path to fundraising
Start planning your fall fundraiser now! Seeds to Grow promotes heirloom gardening and healthy eating while raising money for your school, club, or organization.

Learn more here.

Like us on FacebookFollow on TwitterForward to a Friend

Share with your friends

Upcoming Events:

June 22: SSE's Heritage Farm
Lecture by David Buchanan
Dinner by Pepperfield Project
Details

July 8: Minneapolis, MN
Seed Saving Workshop
Details

July 19-21: SSE's Heritage Farm
Conference and Campout
Details

Your support helps us continue our vital preservation work. Please consider becoming a member today.

SSE Member benefits:

• Discounted registration fees for the Conference & Campout and other events
  • 10% discount on all purchases from our store
  • Access to the Yearbook, where over 12,000 varieties are available from other members
  • The award-winning membership publication "The Heritage Farm Companion"
  • Enrollment in American Horticultural Society'sReciprocal Admissions Program

Love flowers and herbs? Then join the Flower & Herb Exchange for access to hundreds of varieties.

Hope Shand, Marty Teitel Elected to SSE Board of Directors
Shand and Teitel both have extensive experience as advocates for agricultural biodiversity. Seed Savers Exchange board chair Keith Crotz called the addition of Shand and Teitel an important step in SSE fulfilling its goal to conserve and promote America’s agricultural biodiversity. Read more about them.

Our Mission
Conserving and promoting America's culturally diverse but endangered food crop heritage for future generations by collecting, growing, and sharing heirloom seeds and plants.
forward to a friend Copyright © 2013 Seed Savers Exchange, All rights reserved.
unsubscribe from this listupdate subscription preferences