We want pit bulls to be accepted and welcomed in society, not shunned for the inaccurate and undeserved bad reputation they have gotten. We will talk about ways to improve the perception of the American Pit Bull Terrier, ways we can ALL help get the word out about these amazing dogs!
We will SOCIALIZE our dogs together as we take them on a fun and adventurous hike in different parts of Raleigh EVERY OTHER WEEK! We may also do some urban agility exercises, the dogs love it and it's fun for us as well. We get some exercise and the dogs get: socialization around a lot of dogs they don't know, exercise, and CGC practice items may be covered as well. GREAT socialization for your dogs as well as great practice for good manners. Orientation not required!
2) GO TO MEETUP.COM AND RSVP FOR THIS MEETUP IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING!!!
3) Every dog must be on a secure collar, no plastic snap closure collars please. Either a buckle collar or a martingale is best. If your dog is reactive to others, please let me know before you come to class. You can email me at [masked]. If your dog is so reactive he cannot handle this class, we can work together outside class to help him begin to desensitize to other dogs.
4) Don't feed your dogs before class, and be sure to bring HIGH VALUE TREATS (hot dog pieces cut up small, liver treats, chicken - a variety is best). This will give your dog the best setup for success at paying attention to you during class!
5) Park across the street from the main entrance of Meredith College, then just walk across and look to your left for dogs! Do NOT let your dog go up to other dogs. We use the NO NOSES RULE.....no noses in other dog's faces or butts, or in their personal space. This walk is about socialization and that means for most dogs just walking together will work to help your dog calm down around other dogs. If you have a dog that is reactive, KEEP MORE DISTANCE between your dog and the others.
6) Shannon Craige is leading this meet up....as I will be out of town...but it will be lots of fun! Thanks Shannon!!