The REAL Debate Club Message Board › The British education system is not fit for purpose!!

The British education system is not fit for purpose!! Thursday 27th @ The Lansdowne Club, Mayfair

Marcus W.
user 8663901
Group Organizer
London, GB
Dear Debaters/People who like arguing...

There are limited spaces left for next Thursday's debate, so please RSVP soon!

Looking forward to meeting you!

Marcus

P.S. There is a dress code at the club. No jeans, no trainers, and you need a jacket (chaps). Ladies, just smart please, you don't need to go over board!

Marcus W.
user 8663901
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 2
Hi Debaters,

This is a new idea. I hope you like it... But I thought I'd start the debate on meetup, prior to it actually happening!! So we can all wet our teeth on the key issues, and frankly shape some of the points we want to make first, before we make them in person. What do you think?

Here goes!

http://www.guardian.c...­

What do you think about the above article from the Guardian "Michael Gove's GCSE reforms are tame, backward and not even new"

ooh errrr. Let's get the debate started!

Marcus
Marcus W.
user 8663901
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 3
Alright, let's go with my gut feel on this first, and see what you think.

Ultimately the purpose of an Exam and a grade is to sort the wheat from the chaff. This may sound mean, but surely this is the point?!

This helps Universities to pick the right candidates, this helps employers select the right employees. This ultimately helps our economy to function efficiently....

Therefore this idea of more and more children gaining top grades is inherently ridiculous.

Therefore any idea that helps to address this craziness is good by me. I may be temped to go further...

Every year exactly the same proportion of pupils gets an A grade for example. That way, every year you can always pretty much compare like with like.

So grades awarded as such:

A* - top 10% - or 90 percentile
A - next 15% - 75 Percentile
B - next 15% - 60 Percentile
C - next 15% - 45 Percentile
D - next 15% - 30 Percentile
E - next 15% - 15 Percentile
F - FAIL - the bottom 15% -

So if an employee is looking at a grade C student, they know with absolute certainty that this student is between between the 45th and 60th Percentile.. or in other words of average Academic Ability.

Similarly if someone gets a F, then they fail because they are in the weakest 15%. I have no issue with some people failing. It seems many do...

Lot of other points I could make, but this is designed to kick things off!

Marcus

Marcus W.
user 8663901
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 4
Ah, wonderful, everyone agrees!! haha!
M