The SF Henri Bergson & Friends Society Message Board › Comments please!

Comments please!

user 13039862
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Dear Fellow 'Bourgeoning Bs',

No doubt this modern missive finds you in the midst of catching up on Bergson readings from our reading list, or wanting to!  Our next assignment (Ch. 4) is plenty to wrestle with on its own for sure, much less alongside any unfinished business hovering petulantly from previous chapters. And yet, given your assuredly busy schedules, I wonder if you might find the time (which should be a bit easier for those of us who revisited chapter II last week!) to share a personal comment or reflection or two about our last meeting, whether or not you attended.

Mais Oui! In the spirit of Bergson's notion of time-reversing possibility, I invite members who were unable to attend the meetup last Friday to share the experience of what is was like to miss the gathering, providing, of course, that you feel your impressions might inform and/or entertain current members and prospective Bourgeoning Bs. For example, a simple telling of what you chose to do, or were forced to do, instead perhaps including how clarification of the role of 'feelings' in Bergson's intricate metaphysic might have been useful to you at the time you weren't there honing your understanding of it. Or, "I went to a movie" would be fine too. Why? Although this very question would appear to betray Bergson's own preferred line of reasoning, I, for one, am still moved by how many very interesting folks signed up for this meet-up group regardless of their attendance record. I guess we just miss you and want to hear from you! And the apparent perpetual disinterest in the philosophy of this deceased French dissenter is striking and raises interesting questions, I think, about the sociology of what Bergson himself might call the 'duration-of-disregard' or lasting 'contagion-of-contempt' for his philosophical perspective-- or what some of us might simply call the painful beyond-Proustian duration of the man's sentences. So whatever it is, or isn't, say 'hi'!

Of course I do apologize for not having posted photos documenting the progress on the B&W crossword puzzle portrait of our immortal anti-hero and philosopher king. True, some of our attendees mistook the Bergson puzzle pieces for mini cardboard coasters atop which they placed their cold drinks. For now I'll happily share that the sorting of Bergson puzzle pieces got off to a careful if not obvious start, and that the few puzzle pieces that did get soggy have since dried out and have regained their sharpness. And so, I trust, have our Friday night group attendees. Stay tuned!

Best wishes,