The Southeast Michigan Poetry Meetup Group Pages
Welcome to the (new/version 2.0) Southeast Michigan Poetry Meetup! We are an open group that began as a means to share and discuss our own original poetry and bring the works of poets we enjoy.
Today we are that, and hopefully, even more in the near future. We may explore several different meeting places so that poets from all over metro Detroit can meet and share their work.
PLEASE NOTE NEW FORMAT NOTES, REVISED AFTER I WORKED ALL THE KINKS OUT:
- Please sign in when you get to the meeting, and indicate if you prefer to A-read your poem only, or B-read and discuss. We will begin reading our work with this in mind.
- We will start with brief introductions of people, what they write and why, highlights of their time between meetups (publication, submissions of work, participating in events, and so on.)
- If you would like physical notes back from group members, please bring copies of your poem.
- The poet will read his/her poem and give a brief biography of the poem. A second person will read the poem, followed by discussion. (If at this point, you do not want discussion or critique, be prepared to say so BEFORE you start reading.)
- We ask for thoughtful comments only. If you like something, or don't like it, be prepared to tell the poet WHY. If you have a question, ask it simply. Critique/comments are constructive; anything else is personal and not useful.
- If there is time left, we can discuss points of poetry, talk about events, offer a writing exercise.
- The group will meet on either the second or third Thursday at Cafe Zuzu. I am seeking a central location (Ferndale, Royal Oak etc.) for a monthly Sunday meeting.