The Tucson Philosophy Group Message Board › December 13th Meetup Ideas

December 13th Meetup Ideas

A former member
Post #: 2
Does anyone have any discussion ideas for December's Meetup? Something they really want to explore with the group?

If you do, post your idea on this thread as well as give your opinions on topics/readings that others have suggested.
A former member
Post #: 1
What do you get if you multiply six by nine?
A former member
Post #: 3
"I don't write jokes in base 13."

So, what is the meaning of life? And, furthermore, what is this reality that we call life?

Couldn't we all just be brains in a vat?

Here is a piece by Christopher Grau that reflects on the "Brain in a Vat" question: http://bahcecikdeveku...­

Are we a brain in a vat?
How could we know?

It's a simple piece, but I thought it would work well for opening discussion. It covers, albeit crudely, certain principles of Cartesian duality as well as exploring Hilary Putnam's response to the Brain-in-a-Vat question.

At a few pages, it's explorable in one night.

I look forward to tomorrow's discussion. 7:00 at Beyond Bread.
A former member
Post #: 4
I mean, at Coffee X Change.
A former member
Post #: 2
Haha, exactly! Base 13 :)

Lain Iwakura: [gasp]
Miho Iwakura: The wired might actually be thought of as a highly advanced upper layer of the real world. In other words, physical reality is nothing but an illusion, a hologram of the information that flows to us through the wired.
Lain Iwakura: But ma...
Miho Iwakura: This is because the body, physical motion, the activity of the human brain is merely a physical phenomenon, simply caused by synapses delivering electrical impulses.
Lain Iwakura: But mom, I...
Miho Iwakura: The physical body exists at a less evolved plane only to verify one's existence in the universe.
Lain Iwakura: Are you really, truly my mother?
Miho Iwakura: [disappears]
Lain Iwakura: Are you?