Are you curious about Aquaponics? My hubby is giving an introductory,
casual, 101 workshop on Saturday June 29th, 2pm-5pm, cost $12/person,
with a limit of 12 people. Workshop will take place in North Vancouver
at our home.
Rough workshop outline/overview, not in order:
• Walk through of mini system, a breakdown of what each part does
• What makes AP possible - the nitrogen cycle and beyond.
• Filtration, why are different types of filtration needed?
• Do I need a separate Bio-filter, won’t media beds work?
• Media beds are not filters, why is proper filtration the right way to go?
• Why is pH so important to the plants
• Ways in which to grow your food in an AP system
• Fish options
• Fish-to-plant ratio, how to get it right for your setup without getting overwhelmed with online opinions and formulas.
• How to cycle your fish tank and why you should use fishless cycling
• Daily, weekly, monthly maintenance to maintain a system
• Worm tea brewing is worth the effort and time
• Costs, how on the cheap can I do this... what to cheap out on and what not to.
• Costs, how much does it cost to run a system vs. what you get from it and how to get the most out of your lighting.
Plumbing, schedule 40 potable water safe PVC, glue, etc. How to put
things together, what’s needed. What are unions and why use them.
workshop ends with a tour of our backyard system and is a great time
for attendees to ask questions. Everyone will get a follow up email
which has a PDF filled with a lot of really valuable information
including our own tips/experiences. We also have a raised beds soil
garden, compost bins and worm farm that you can explore after the main
If you are interested, please drop us an email - hello [at] fireandlight.ca