add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
A former member
Post #: 2
If you've read about the March 9th meeting, much of this will seem very familiar. However, there are a few changes:

We discussed the meeting structure today and decided on monthly meetings. There's a prompt for March 9th's meeting. It is:

-A half-full cup of cappuccino

Feel free to write a poem, short story, or however you enjoy arranging words on a page about this prompt. It can be interpreted in absolutely any way you wish. This is the cup in all its glory:

So, I realized two things after taking this photo:

1. I am not a photographer, and my picture isn't going to win any awards.
2. Doug looks a bit holy with that halo he's developed. Maybe he'll be kind enough to upload his much better photo of the cup by uploading it under the "Photos" tab then posting it here. (Please!)

The idea is that we will each write a story/poem/word collection related to the prompt and upload them to this thread a week before our next meeting (Saturday, March 2nd). This will give everyone a chance to look through each work and be prepared to give a helpful critique to everyone during the meeting (Saturday, March 9th).

If you have a particular, non-prompt-related, piece you'd like to have critiqued, feel free to upload it and ask for feedback. Then, after the regular meeting, the ones who wish to discuss the piece can talk about it.

The location is the same: Mead's Corner
The time is different: 1:00 PM (quieter)
Duration: ~ 2 hours

If you can't make it to this meetup, perhaps we can schedule an additional one. However, for the sake of everyone's schedule, I'd like to keep this date solid so there's no confusion.

I hope the plan is pretty clear for everyone. We had a great first meeting; we had five turnout today. I look forward to seeing everyone again, and hopefully some new faces as well.

Please post your questions/comments on this thread regarding the next meeting or the general format of the meetings.

I'll be posting the short story, "Blind Date" in a different thread. I read the first page of this aloud at the meetup today. I'd appreciate it if some of you would read through it and give me some feedback at the next meeting.

Doug K.
Wichita, KS
Post #: 36
It was a great session. I am defiantly looking forward to the next one.

I was especially intrigued with the discussion about poetry. Poetry is writing without rules? I had no idea that poetry had that sort of flexibility. This must be why MS Word gets in such a hissy fit when it sees poetry. It’s doesn’t like any thing that doesn’t conform and starts marking it up with all these red and green lines.

Paradoxically, this may be why I don’t care for poetry much. I actually like the rules. All the techniques in characterization, dialog, monologues, and choreographing action sequences, all come with these complicated guidelines. The art is balancing these guidelines in such a way that create three dimensional characters that invoke emotional reaction in those who read it. That’s the challenge I find in writing.

I kind of assumed that poetry came with its own rules. Well, I am sure a few forms probably do. Haiku for example, that sure looks intimidating.

But it looks like I am simply over think poetry.

Here is my picture of a half empty cup a cappuccino; our challenge for the month.­
I actually found this challenge to be intimidating at first. After all, it’s just a cup of coffee, sitting there, doing noting. It’s a NOWN!!

Not to say that I haven’t had challenges like this in the past. But in the past, the picture in question was always… well, more interesting than a friggen cups of coffee. We talked about it some, kicking around the very idea, of what an idea might or could be. That was a subject that could have gone on for days. Way too little time was given to it.

It turns out that my fears were unfounded. Shortly after I left the café, I actually did come across an idea. About an hour later I had hammered out a rough draft that is about a page long. Some refining and editing still needs to take place, but I think it turned out rather nice. I can’t wait to share it. I am looking forward to what every one else comes up with. A cup of coffee… who knew.
Doug K.
Wichita, KS
Post #: 38
Here is that half empty cappuccino, in all its glory.

A former member
Post #: 1

Thank you for your comments and it was great to meet you and the others on Saturday.

With regards to poetry, poetry conformists might be offended to think that poetry is "without rules", and I am sorry if we gave you that impression. In reality poetry is very rule driven and there are hundreds of poetry forms, meters, and rhymes to conform to. The one form that tends to have the reputation of "no rules" is that of Free Verse. This form, while there is typically no rhyming, meter, or stanza structure, is in an of it's self a form.

I have been writing poetry for over 40 years, and while most of my poems are free verse, I take great pleasure in following the structure of many differenct poetry forms. To date, I have written at least one poem in over 30 poetry forms and styles, and I am constantly seeking for more. So contrary to the impression we might have given you, poetry is certainly a medium of rules.

Below is a great post just last week from a blog I follow, that speaks about poetry forms.

Doug K.
Wichita, KS
Post #: 39
I have mixed feelings about that. confused
A former member
Post #: 2­

Here is a link if you want to explore specific "structured forms". I my experience i have found that i just write poetry, unless its a challenge to right a structured form i just write, i don't worry about form and meter, i allow the poem to write its self and then if it falls into a category of a structured poem its because that was what it was meant to be.

By Request I have added one way ticket to the documents for those who would like to read it.
A former member
Post #: 9
Ah, I just had a chance to read the ethernet cable poem. I have to admit I laughed out loud at some point. It was eloquent right up to the phrase " our brains the shits..." I found the poem fun and light-hearted but not without thoughtful criticism of the information age.

I also like the way you arranged the two parts. Once I got to the end of the first column I thought you might be about to turn on the idea since if it was purely an admiration poem, it could've been finished with the first three stanzas. And there it was, right in that fourth stanza.* :)

Sorry if I'm not much help in the way of constructive criticism for poetry; it's not a form I know enough about to look at critically at this point. I'll have to learn more about it first.

*Disclaimer: I love the internet and would have a very difficult time without it. I remember not having the internet until I was 12. Dark days those were. I'm not entirely sure how I survived.