Woodland Photography Group Message Board › Weekend Photo Event 24 programs and Trade Show only $49

Weekend Photo Event 24 programs and Trade Show only $49

Doug B.
dougbox
Caldwell, TX
Post #: 17

Attend the Best Photographic Education Value in America! For only $49 you can attend your choice of 24 different programs from Landscape Photography, Understanding Exposure, How to enter Print Competition, People Photography, Fashion and Boudoir Photography, Pet photography, How to Get Published, Adobe Lightroom, Nature Photography, Sports Photography, How to Turn your photos to Art and much more! Saturday evening we have Arthur Morris, one of the nations top bird photographers, doing his “A Bird Photographers Story” program!
March 15-17, 2013
How would you like the chance to have your work published in our award winning, regional photography magazine. You can participate in the Print Competition and get into the Trade Show absolutely FREE! Just announced, win a LexJet trophy and $100 if your entry was printed on LexJet product.
We also have several Hands-On programs on Friday March 15 on PhotoShop, Posing, Lighting, How to Market Your Photo Business and more for a small additional cost.
You must pre-register for the event at www.tppa.org but you DO NOT have to register for the classes on Saturday and Sunday. You can attend as many or as few as you want! We will be at the Arlington Convention Center.

Regardless of your skill level, you’ll find something for you! Please join us! Even if you and only attend one day!
www.tppa.org
Just announced-New Program, Darton Drake Friday night 7pm. Sponsored by White House Custom Color Lab.
Doug B.
dougbox
Caldwell, TX
Post #: 62

Attend the Photo Trade Show for FREE, March 16 & 17 in Arlington, TX www.tppa.org
A former member
Post #: 763
[ edited out because I was being a bit of a jerk ]
Doug B.
dougbox
Caldwell, TX
Post #: 63
Joe, I do not understand.I have offered to do a program for you and all the groups.

I thought you would want to let people know about a great photographic learning opportunity. This is a great event, at a super price. There are some fantastic speakers that your members would love to see. I don't see how this is bad for you or your members.

I thought all of us want to promote photographic learning to people who love this hobby and business.

Where else are people going to see people like Artie Morris, one of the countries best bird photographers, Mike Marvins, a third generation photographer - talking about getting published, Steve Kozak, a working pro that leads photo seminars - talking about landscape photography, Suzette Allen, one of the top PhotoShop teachers in the country, doing an all day seminar on PhotoShop and Lightroom...... I could go on and on. All of this for $49! (Suzette's program is an additional fee of $49)

How is letting your members know about this, hurting you? You have some great events for your members. But this is a great value.

I started a meet up group in my area, College Station. If you are having a really special event, I would hope you let my members know about it.

Like you, I love photography. I started the Brenham Camera Club in 1976, I co founded the Texas Photo Festival in Smithville, TX four years ago. I have taught all over the country, many times for free.

We should all work together to further the profession.
Please explain why you are upset.
doug
A former member
Post #: 764
[ edited out because I was being a bit of a jerk again ]
A former member
Post #: 765
[ edited out because I took being a jerk to a whole new level ]
A former member
Post #: 937
Joe, you rock!!
A former member
Post #: 769
"Joe, you rock!!" = "Joe, you so obsessive-compulsive!" LOL But thanks.

[ removed the rest for being a jerk ]
Doug B.
dougbox
Caldwell, TX
Post #: 67
Joe, I am sorry. I found out about about Meet Up groups in January while at PPA from someone who has several groups. I was excited because I have been a big believer in bringing Pros and Enthusiasts together. I have done this my whole career. I started my first photography business in 1973 in Houston. I moved to Brenham in 1976 and started the Brenham Camera Club, modeled after the Houston Camera Club that my dad and I attended when I was in High School. I taught many of the classes. I never made a penny from this.

I started teaching Pros in 1986 in Houston and I have taught in 49 states, 7 countries and on 6 cruise ships, while I got paid for many of these, I did many for free. I became the Executive Director of the Texas Professional Photographers Association in 1995 after serving as an officer for 5 years. I served on PPA Council for over 20 years, several committies and finally 4 years on the Board of PPA. All for no compensation. I helped start the Brazos Vally Photo Guild and served as an officer and have given several programs for them.

5 years ago I co-founded the Texas Photo Festival in Smithville, TX. I started the College Station Meet Up recently. And I have written 6 books on photography, and dozens of articles that have been published in major photography magazines. I have spent my whole working life as a photographer and a photo educator.

Yes I joined several Meet Up groups. I was excited about the wonder phenomenon called Meet Up. About a year ago I, along with the officers of TPPA started planning the 2013 convention. My goal was to make an event that would welcome ALL photographers. About 35-40% of the programs were aimed at all photographers, Pro and Enthusiast alike. 25% were for Enthusiast alone, including our Headline Speaker!

We slashed the price to $49. You ask for a 5% discount for your members, I told you I did not have a way to do that since the registration was on line through a third party and their system. I wrote this to you:
Thanks Joe
I would be glad to do two free tickets. I don't know how to discount the event, we cut the price to the bone already to get people to come. Free Trade show, Free Print Comp, and only $49 for two days of education and a 3 month membership in the Texas PPA. That is pretty cheap already.

Hmmm, I could have a drawing for a couple of Free tickets for your members. How about that. I could set up an Evite where people could sign up and then pick two.

I am open for suggestions.
doug

The regular price for the last few years was between $195 and $250. We cut the price to $49
and added 3 month membership. A great deal. Plus my system does not allow for coupons, so I don't know how to even do that. I ask for suggestions, I am open, but not sure what you want.

So again. I am sorry if I offended you or did something that offended you or other Meet Up organizers. My intention was to share my enthusiasm and love for photography.

Yes, there are Pros who think that New Photographers dilute the industry, that is not limited to the photography industry, but I will tell you I DO NOT FEEL THIS WAY. I have proved that by my whole life in photography. I just wanted to let everyone know about this amazing event. If that is a sin, I repent. I was new to all this and did not know how it all works and time was short. My intentions were pure, my methods may have been messy.

I want to be the guy that brings Pros and Enthusiast together! We should not hate each other. We have our love for photography in common! You have some really great programs you offer to your members, I want my members to know about them. I am sure many Pros would enjoy them. Some of your members would like to take their hobby to the next level, we have the educational programs to benefit them.

We had a great event. I wish you would have come. We had over 200 people who took advantage of the $49 - 2 day convention where someone could have attended 9 different speakers from a choice of 24, visited the trade show where many of the speakers had tables where people could ask questions and we gave away over $3,000 in gifts including a Pentax camera and a full scholarship to the Texas School of photography!

Yes, we offered a 3 month trial membership, and yes people will be able to extend their membership, but only if they fell it is a good value for them! While there, and seeing so many new faces, having fun and loving photography, I had the idea for a new Membership program. When people join for as little as $85, they will receive over $500 in gifts and discounts: including free video learning opportunities, PhotoShop templates, actions and brushes, discounts for products and services.

I am also working on other events where we can come together and meet each other and share ideas!
I hope you forgive me. I still want to give a program for your group. I won't even mention TPPA!
Humbly and sincere,
Doug Box
A former member
Post #: 772
Doug, honest truth, I'm a jerk and you touched a raw nerve. It's great to hear the event went well and you had a good turnout. I said previously that I'm sure TPPA is a great organization. Sorry for the drama, and thanks for your candid reply. My appologies for being a jerk.