Announcing a new Meetup for The World Affairs Discussion Group!
What: The World Affairs Discussion Group April Meetup
When: April 12,[masked]:00 PM
Where: Click the link below to find out!
The topic for April: Capitalism unleashed! Or regulated? Which path?
To get our dialectical juices flowing I submit the following questions:
* Assuming that captialism is crisis prone (this hardly seems in doubt) is government intervention and regulation the answer?
* Does government sometimes help to precipitate crises; for example, by promoting mortgage lending to people who cannot afford a mortgage?
* Who will regulate the regulators?
* Is the U.S. govt, by trying to please everyone, pleasing no one and prolonging the crisis?
* Are authoritarian governments, such as China and Singapore, better positioned to deal with financial crises?
* Is the economy an evolutionary process and are we now witnessing the dying out of a species of dinosaurs, i.e., the giant banks? If so, what can and what should replace them?
You are encouraged to post your own comments and questions on the group's web site prior to the meeting.
All views and political orientations are welcome.
I have limited attendance to 14 max as we are meeting in an eatery where it is not possible to reserve space. Meeting will be canceled if fewer than 5 sign up.
If you sign up and change your mind, please change your reply so that someone else may attend.
Meetup to last 1.5 hours (until 5:30 PM) although, of course, people are welcome to continue beyond that point.
I look forward to seeing you for another stimulating discussion!
Learn more here:http://www.meetup.com/The-World-Affairs-Discussion-Group/calendar/9911435/