Things Japanese Message Board › Fukushima and Tohoku Now

Fukushima and Tohoku Now

Sally
user 4742768
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA

Dear members,

During my stay in Japan, I was able to visit Fukushima where my mother's originally from. Her late brother (and now his son) owns a very small hot spring and I had a chance to stay with my mother.

I took the attached photos in Hisanohama, Fukushima, one of the devastated sites where once many beachfront houses stood... Even after a year it makes you sad..

My cousin told me that the city had decided to eventually level the land and turn it into a memorial park.

I'll try to go back next year, and if you'd like to join me we should plan a trip together to visit.

And the following photos are of my late grandparents and the decoration my grandfather received from the late emperor Hirohito 30 years ago for serving his community for long time as a dedicated local politician/leader:

My grandfather passed away one day after my birthday when I was junior in college. To this day he has been my role model to serve our community.

And here's a video of the messages from people in Tohoku area to thank everyone in the world for all they've done to help rescue and rebuild.  I'm sure some of you have already watched it, but since it has English subtitle it would help you to learn the language too. I do hope you can watch it. Please do so.

http://youtu.be/nN2pT...­

Arigatou.  Hontouni Doumo Arigatou. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Sally