Those Phoenix D&D Guys Message Board › Basic Rules/Tip/Etc

Basic Rules/Tip/Etc

A former member
Post #: 1
I would love to get a hold of someone to help me understand the rules a bit better and help me build a character. I keep going to group after group with little to no response from anyone.

I really want to get into these games but can't get anyone to support that interest.
Even it's over email or an instant messenger or something. Just anything to help me be able to start something up with my own group of friends.

If someone is willing to help a beginner out just send me a quick message and maybe we can exchange contact information.
A former member
Post #: 23
Myke,

I have been playing RPG's for, believe it or not, 32 years. I am sorry to hear that you have not had anyone give you any help or answer your qurstions. If you have then please disregard this message.

On the other hand, if you have still not received any help please let me know and I will be more than willing tp help or point you in the right direction.
Amy V
user 13156259
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 6
Honestly, the best to way to learn is by doing. Come to a game, participate, pick up the rules as you go! There's very little incentive for anyone to just teach you the rules over the Internet, but come to a game and everyone wants you to be able to play so you can contribute. That is why I am not surprised to hear that you've had no luck if you're really just going around asking for people to teach you.

Come to Coffee Roll-Up one weekend and check it out. You will learn something, I guarantee it, and you can take that back to your friends.
Mike T
DMMike
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 227
D20 Dungeons and Dragons is easy and flexible - why it's my favorite. Here are the basics:

Dungeon Master - the one player who determines the outcome of everything, the referee of the game. The DM is your window to the world, and something of a guide.

Level - the character that you play gets better with experience. Levels are how this improvement is measured.

Checks - this is how the DM decides how well you did something that had a questionable result. You roll a 20-sided die (D20), and the higher you roll, the better you do. Some rules give you bonus points to your roll.

Abilities - six ability scores are the measure of your character's basic abilities. The higher your scores, the more bonuses you get to your Checks.

Skills - these are tasks at which you learn to get better. You get more skill points with higher levels, and these skill points are also added to your Checks.

Feats - these give you the ability to bend the rules. For example, the feat Power Attack lets you add extra bonuses to the damage your attacks do, at the expense of penalties to your attacking skill checks.

Hit Points - your resistance to Damage. Whether you get scratched, bashed, injured, winded, or weakened, each is measured by a reduction of your HP.

Armor Class - a bonus to your defense skill. If you defend against an attack, you lose no Hit Points (i.e. take no Damage). Some systems require your attacker to make this check instead of you.

Roleplaying - you are free to interact with the other players and the DM as you (your character) wish. If there is a dispute, you make a Check to see what happens. It adds to the fun of the game if you behave as your character would, assuming that your character is different from yourself.

Hmm. 9 points. I guess that's relatively simple, considering that the rulebooks amount to well over 9 CHAPTERS of rules to follow. If you know the above 9, all the remaining rules won't present a problem.