Toronto Bike Meetup Message Board › Fave Bike Store?

Fave Bike Store?

Andy Z.
user 8723216
Toronto, ON
Post #: 3
Hi Everybody,

What's your favourite bike store? Where have you had a good experience? Where are staff knowledgeable? Where do they have good deals?

I'd love to know which of the many bike stores in the city do a good job.
Deannie
deannie
Scarborough, ON
Post #: 2
Hi! Andy:

I sure would like to know the answer to that one. The bike shops in my area; in recent years have closed up, like "Earl's" that used to be at Midland & Eglinton Ave. E. and "Cyclepath" that use to be located at Kennedy & Lawrence; where I purchased my bike. I have yet to find one that I like, that is convenient for me.
Let me know when you find a good bike shop Andy.........PLEASE!

Deannie
Sandy
MackEye
Toronto, ON
Post #: 1,109
I'm a huge fan of Urbane Cyclist on John Street. The prices are reasonable, and they are very up-front about the work that needs (or does not need) to be done on your bike. I've had top-notch work every time, and they're a co-op to boot!

http://www.ucycle.com/­

RobG
user 9091875
Toronto, ON
Hey Andy.

I've been getting my annual tune-ups done at Broadway Cycle for a few years and have been happy with their service and prices generally. One of the big pluses is that it's located around the corner from me. Depending on how much someone is looking to spend for a new bike, they start at about $500 here.

Although I've never bought anything there, Chain Reaction had great service and decent a great range of bikes and parts. The big seller there for me was the service.

The most unpleasant bike store experience in my hood is Brown's. I can't picture ever wanting to buy anything at that shop again.

I buy most of my self-serve parts at MEC and they seem to have opened a full-service bike shop now. MEC's product line can be limited, so it really depends on if a specific brand is sought after. I'm curious to hear if others have used MEC's bike shop and what they thought of the experience.

I've heard a lot about self and assisted service bike shops in the past year. I've been thinking that would be a great idea for annual tune-ups, to just get a group together and everyone bring some tools and someone or a few people who know what they're doing could lead us through the exercise.
Laura S.
user 8678529
North York, ON
Well, I bought my bike at Spokes on Avenue Road and I really like the place ....... I get free maintenance on my bike for as long as I own it, and only have to pay for parts if required.
A few of the staff are very knowledgeable so just don't speak with a summer student if you go.

The prices are pretty much standard ...... $400 for a decent mountain bike.

Laura