addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

T R A I L S I D E Message Board Trailside Meetup Group Discussion Forum › FALL 2012 OLYMPIC HIKING WEEKEND DETAILS/FAQs (PART 1)

FALL 2012 OLYMPIC HIKING WEEKEND DETAILS/FAQs (PART 1)

Mike T.
user 14483099
Lakewood, WA
Post #: 46
Here are several common FAQs referring to the upcoming Fall '12 OHW, taking place October 19-21:

How many nights are we staying in Forks?
2 nights/3 days. Fri-Sun, October 19-21. The 2 nights will be spent in Forks, WA on the Olympic Peninsula.

Do we have the option of staying longer or coming earlier? No. We have a set schedule for the retreat weekend. Friday morning (around 9AM), we'll gather at Stadium Tully's in Tacoma to re-group, go over last-minute details, grab refreshments and coffee, use the loo and form carpools. We plan to depart around 10AM. I'll be reserving the entire upper floor of Tully's for our retreat group.
Saturday will be spent hiking on the Ozette Loop Trail, as well as travel to/from the trailhead.
Sunday afternoon is set aside for time spent on your own or with your carpool group. All meals are planned and listed on the meetup posting.

How much does it cost to attend? Cost goes by bed space preference. If you desire a sleeper sofa, it is $55. A double OR queen bed space is $75. An entire Queen bed will set you back $150. All these prices reflect 2 nights lodging and include up to 3 group meals. All of these rates are PER PERSON. If you are a passenger of a carpool, you will be giving your driver $25 (pp) for the weekend.

Do I need to pay right away, or will I have time to make a final decision? You have until September 15th to pay your lodging payment in full. Once you have paid, a notification will be posted on-site that you have 'PAID', and/or one will be sent to you electronically. Your commitment to attend will also be expected by September 15th. After that point, if you cancel or request cancellation, you risk losing your reservation AND lodging money. You MUST get a replacement for your space, or hope for a waiting list replacement in order to get a refund before September 30th. After that point, there is no refund. No-shows are automatically non-refundable. Once you have paid, you have a space--so show up! :)

Will I get a receipt?
Yes. An electronic copy will be sent to you automatically. A paper copy may be given to you at the time the retreat takes place.

Will I get a refund?
ONLY if you are able to get a replacement by September 30th. Otherwise, you forfeit your lodging payment! If you are able to get someone to take your space(s), you will be refunded once your coverage has paid.

Do I get to choose what room/unit I sleep in? All sleeping arrangements will be made upon arrival. No exceptions. Once we arrive in Forks, we'll go over lodging reservations and who paid what for their bedding arrangement. Some units will be co-ed, some not. Look for bed space availability on the meet-up posting. It will be updated frequently.

If i'm a passenger of a carpool when do I pay the fuel fees to my driver?
Sometime before boarding their vehicle. You are advised to pay the minimum of $25 (per passenger). More is at your discrepancy. This helps cover the trip costs for the retreat travel route(s). Any additional driving during the retreat is at the driver's discrepancy. DRIVERS: You are to ask for your fuel fees before departing Friday morning from Tully's. This helps in case you need to get fuel before leaving town.

What type of lodging units are we staying in? Are they near each other?
The 2-room suites that have been reserved are condo-style lodging arrangements. Each has two rooms, a huge bathroom and a kitchen. There are multiple 2-story buildings in the complex. All of our reserved units are downstairs. They may not be right next to each other, but they will be within easy walking distance (within 100'). Unit keys will be assigned upon check-in. One or two keys will be assigned to each unit.

Do we all get privacy? Not necessarily. For example, sleeper sofas are in the living room of each unit. Living rooms are NOT considered private spaces. Shared double bed rooms have a closable door, and each Queen bed room has a closable door as well. One of the rooms has private access to the bathroom, but none of the bathrooms are labeled as 'private'. We must all share and share alike :)

What is the protocol for noise and activities at this location? You must keep noise to a minimum at night and respect other units nearby (above and around). Otherwise, you may do whatever you wish during the night AS LONG AS you keep the noise to a minimum and NOT distract fellow retreaters and neighbors! Make note of any excessive noise coming from nearby units and report it to the front desk in the morning. This goes for fellow retreat units as well as any units surrounding yours. Be a good neighbor!

Will we be doing any hiking during the retreat?
Of course, and we'll enjoy other opportunities as well. Our main hiking excursion for the long weekend will be on the 9.4-mile Ozette/Sand Point Loop Trail, located near Lake Ozette on the coast. This will take place all day on Saturday. Since we will already be in Forks, our travel time to/from the trailhead won't be so long. We will make it in plenty of time to enjoy the hike at low-tide, as some of the trail is along the beach. We'll see petroglyphs and other great things during the hike!

Will we be walking in Forks at night, like in the past?
Yes! It's optional, of course, but this fun tradition will live on. We may even read nightmare poetry on the sidewalks in town! Look for details after arrival on Friday the 19th.

How will meals be prepared?
Most, if not all, of the meals will be prepared by the event coordinator(s). Any help is welcome and appreciated. Food items can be donated, and purchasing them can take place before the retreat, or en route on Friday. There are markets in Forks with grocery items. We may need a runner or two to get items for meals (or ice). Eggs for Sunday can be purchased Saturday evening, for example. All meals (Fri Dinner/Sat b-fast & dinner and Sunday b-fast) will be served in one of the units in a community/group dining fashion. Food will be prepared and served in that unit, and all side items/coffee/tea/beverages will also be served there as well. Side items can be prepared in other units and brought to the group dining unit to be served/made available. The main coffee urn will be perking there as well. Each unit kitchen has a small coffee maker FYI. Since it only makes 3-4 cups, you may be better off grabbing your coffee in the community unit (or 'base camp' as some call it). You are welcome to stop in 'base camp' at any time before 10pm each night. It will re-open for breakfast each morning around 7AM.

What is 'base camp'? That is simply what the main unit is called where we gather for meals and community activities. Game nights, snacks, endless coffee and other great things happen there!

Can I bring my dog, or other pet? Sorry, no.

When do I need to commit to going on this retreat? When is payment due? September 15th is the commitment/payment deadline. Payment in full guarantees your space.

Is there a specific itinerary we're following during the retreat?
Yes. Friday morning we leave Tully's around 10AM and head towards Forks. There may be a few stops along the way to rest, re-group, see sights, stop for refreshment, etc. (More above)

How do I pay?
Via PayPal or check.

A former member
Post #: 1
Mike, is it safe to leave my car at Stadium Tully for 2 nights when I have a carpool?
Mike T.
user 14483099
Lakewood, WA
Post #: 48
Mike, is it safe to leave my car at Stadium Tully for 2 nights when I have a carpool?
No, I do not advise you leaving your car overnight, let alone for 2 nights. Not only will it be towed, but it could get broken into. It is best to either be a driver or leave your car at home and make plans to be picked up.