T R A I L S I D E Message Board Trailside Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Leadership Team Meeting Notes 5/30 (PART 3)

Leadership Team Meeting Notes 5/30 (PART 3)

Mike T.
user 14483099
Lakewood, WA
Post #: 80
4)Group Size Limits & Leader-Participant Ratio
According to the National Forest Service, National Park Service, and most Federal Lands, there is a limit of 12 people per group, especially pertaining to hiking trails. Set your attendance limit to 12 initially. If you are leading a hike in state lands or other non-federal places, you may make the limit higher, but the usual number is 12. Have a waiting list available. Do what you feel you can handle. If there is a huge waiting list for a hike, you must find an additional host/leader for the second set of 12 people waiting (when you adjust the number participating, the site will automatically pick the next 12 in line according to when they RSVPd). You may want to keep your attendee limit at 12 no matter what (unless you have a second host). I've learned that most events dwindle in number prior to a hike. The limit of 12 may not pertain to picnics, urban walks, retreats, other non-hike activities and State Lands.
Here is what Olympic National Park says:
*Maximum group size is 12 people.
*Affiliated groups may not combine to form a group of more than 12 people at any time and must camp and travel at least 1 mile apart.

Leader-Participant Ratio: We're looking into a policy regarding the number of Organizers compared to the number of participants per event. For example, 1 Organizer per 12 people. Must have a 2nd Organizer or Host for additional people above 12. Main Organizer for an event must find a secondary Organizer or Host to help assist if the group size is more than 12. Ideally, the second group should schedule to meet later than the original time set by the first group and arrive after the first group at the trailhead.

Other Points of Discussion:
*Each meetup posting must have Contact Number(s) of the event Organizer(s). A cell number is fine. Do not post your personal email. Non-members cannot see any personal info placed on event postings as they are masked if you're not logged in. You must be a member to RSVP and view the contact number.
*It was mentioned that everyone who joins should have a clear picture of themselves on their profile (without sunglasses, preferably). Trailside currently does NOT require this. Do we need to discuss this in more detail?
*A policy needs to be discussed and considered regarding alcohol and firearms.
*Current Organizers (whether EOs, AOs or Hosts) need to become more active-yes some of you are currently active..some VERY active! I suggest a minimum activity level of 1 event every 3 months.

I think that is about it. If I've missed anything, please tell me! I'll be posting a copy of this on the Message Board after sending this out. Please refer to it for anything you need to remember when posting events.

There will be room for editing once this is posted on the Message Board.

Thanks so much for your dedication and making Trailside such a welcome and active place to enjoy the outdoors! You are appreciated beyond compare!

Cordially,
Mike Trygstad-Trailside Coordinator
253|985|1992
A former member
Post #: 9
Mike, You are AWESOME! Thank you for all you do for Trailside.
Mike T.
user 14483099
Lakewood, WA
Post #: 82
Mike, You are AWESOME! Thank you for all you do for Trailside.
Thank you so much, Kelly! :-) I appreciate it!